The Glacier Stops Here Fossil Adventure Table

Bev

Here is the recap of The Glacier Stops Here Expo that so many of you have helped with. I'm a little at a loss as to how to present this and even asked Auspex. Perhaps my pea little brain is a bit muddled given the weekend, but here goes...

This all started out with this post:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44286-help-rocks-fossils-and-caves-oh-my/

YOU Guys & Gals Made So Many Children Happy With Your Fossil Donations!

post-9628-0-76342900-1395604537_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-51000900-1395604589_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-95476000-1395604606_thumb.jpg

I had 40' of space shared with the high schoolers that were helping out with the kids activities - the fossil stuff took up 3/4 of that!

I'm kind of doing this post as an inspiration for others. I did a how to here:

http://www.bluffcountryfossils.com/blog/a-fossil-adventure-table-for-you/

post-9628-0-88950800-1395604898_thumb.jpg

Here is an overview of the booths.

post-9628-0-33141400-1395604963_thumb.jpg

A lot of people really studied the fossils on this table. The fluorescent fossils/rocks were a hit with young and old.

The how to on the fluorescent fossil aquarium is here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44879-fluorescent-fossil-aquarium-display/

post-9628-0-97031900-1395605250_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-83691400-1395605870_thumb.jpg

This is the Caleb Scheer Memorial Sand Box Fossil Dig. His Mom and Dad came to the event along with a lot of relatives. There were a couple of times I teared up. I ended up using sawdust instead of sand.

post-9628-0-55034500-1395605374_thumb.jpg

The chicken was a huge hit!!! Especially since the "Chicken from Hell" story came out on national news just 2 days before!

post-9628-0-94972300-1395606318_thumb.jpg

This is an overview of the table where the kids were making fossil jewelry (They LOVED the sharks teeth!) and casts. The high schoolers were having as much fun making jewelry and handing it out as the little kids!

post-9628-0-30483200-1395605718_thumb.jpg

The fossils that were labeled I put into baskets and bags and provided post a notes and pens for those into it to write down names, formations, location, etc.

post-9628-0-62725800-1395605813_thumb.jpg

The labels with pics were a big help with the non-English speaking population and little kids.

And Minnesota Buckeye brought his incredible sculptures of the Ordovician sea bottom for display that will be given to nature centers in the area. But I think that these are so fantastic that they deserve a separate post. :-D

post-9628-0-20627500-1395605910_thumb.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions. I have tried to put in the appropriate links.

Bev

Edited by Bev

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Holy Toledo, what an undertaking! You sure put a lot into this, Bev, and I know it had to be a big hit. I wonder how many futures you have influenced? Many, I am sure!

One more time: WOW! :goodjob:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You always worry too much Bev. It looks fantastic and I am sure all the kids and adults had a great time.

congratulations Bev, you prepared and gave alot of time and effort :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Awesome!

Way to go Bev! And to all those who contributed:

:goodjob:

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

great job, Bev. :goodjob:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

great job, Bev. :goodjob:

And YOU helped make it a success and they loved your gastropods! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Wow, Nice Job! I knew you could pull it off. I think any school, scout group, library, etc would be happy to have you bring your set-up around. I'm sure the kids had as much fun with it as I bet you did getting it set up.

Now go set back, have a drink and relax a little!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Well done, Bev!. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Bev

Great job! You sure put a lot of effort into this. Did a lot of people visit your displays? Hopefully a new generation of fossil enthusiasts was inspired by your efforts.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Bev, blessings to you for blessing so many kids and Caleb's family with your time and talents.

Daryl.

LOL I took Ramo's advice, had a whiskey and coke, and watched Masterpiece theater on PBS. Just getting ready to go to bed.

Bev

Great job! You sure put a lot of effort into this. Did a lot of people visit your displays? Hopefully a new generation of fossil enthusiasts was inspired by your efforts.

Marco Sr.

The Fossil Adventure Booth was very well placed and I dare say that we were the most visited booth there. But then, who isn't drawn to laughing and smiling children? And the chicken was such a big hit! Many people visited 2 and 3 times! Some even came back the next day and brought others!

The "Rocks, Fossils and Caves... Oh My!" seminar was also very well attended. The second one had people standing in the back and we even got applause both days!

I mentioned TFF in both seminars and had 5 signs up in various places around the tables, plus on my T-shirt; so I think we will see a new member or two in the next week.

A half dozen people attended who had been to my hunt in Winona county too! Even the gentleman who suggested that I do a fossil ID sheet and when I showed it to him and told him that I did indeed fulfill his request he smiled broadly and his eyes just beamed. :D

Caleb's Dad, Mother, and their entire family who attended were very appreciative of TFF providing the fossils for the kids in Caleb's name. They shared many stories and I was not the only one to tear up... He is lost to us, but not forgotten.

It will take me all week to unload and put things away, but it is nice not to be wading through show stuff and to rest. I slept 14 hours last night I was so exhausted.

Years ago I used to do a county fair petting farm with information about the species and nursery rhymes to tell the children on each pen and kids stuff. This was very Bev-like, right down to the chicken - information and fun!

I love the smiles and laughter of children. And YOU made this possible!

THANK YOU!!!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Wow!!! What a wonderful job you did Bev! You should feel incredible. And of course tired... lol Thank you for all the hard work you did and I have no doubt your effort made a lasting impression on those kids!!! You are just fabulous! :D

Looks like a great setup, Bev! Puts my mineral club display to shame. :D

I was happy to contribute fossils for the sandbox, and I'm glad they got there in time. If the kids liked them, it was worthwhile! And I thought trilo-bits would be appropriate for a tribute to Caleb.

As for the amount of work putting it together and the thought of doing it again, at least some of it can be easily re-used! Possibly most of it; I don't know how many fossils you have left, but it looked like you had a lot to start with!

Well done! :thumbsu:

And I'm sure you're glad you're done! :P

Great job Bev! :fistbump: Now for next year....

Looks like a great setup, Bev! Puts my mineral club display to shame. :D

I was happy to contribute fossils for the sandbox, and I'm glad they got there in time. If the kids liked them, it was worthwhile! And I thought trilo-bits would be appropriate for a tribute to Caleb.

As for the amount of work putting it together and the thought of doing it again, at least some of it can be easily re-used! Possibly most of it; I don't know how many fossils you have left, but it looked like you had a lot to start with!

Well done! :thumbsu:

And I'm sure you're glad you're done! :P

THANK YOU!

Right now, I don't even want to think about next year! :P

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I imagine that you put a similar amount of work into this display as I did into my planetarium lecture on meteorites the first time. That took a lot of research, photo editing, lecture outline writing, and PowerPoint work, over several months. The second time my husband and I did it, I turned my lecture notes into a script, and we put together some trifold boards to show off part of our collection.

We've done the show annually for 5 years now, each time making minor updates. The first two years were definetely the most labor intensive!

We're doing it again in another couple of weeks (Apr. 4). I'm working on updates today. :) It's always fun, and I'm always glad when it's over! :P

I had two seminars and the fossil adventure booth. I'm not sure if they are going to have it next year or not. I got only a 30 day notice so pulling it altogether was quite the challenge, but it turned out well!

I have a few fossils left so I am contacting local teachers and seeing if the kids would like them. :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts: