What Kind Of Dino Bone Is This?

RJB

I just found this in a box thats been buried for a couple of years from our move, and now am wondering what kind of dino bone it is. I realize that may be impossible, and the only thing I can tell you about it is that I bought it many years ago from Earnest Shirly in Hanksville Utah. Thats all I know.

RB

post-171-1232140589_thumb.jpg

post-171-1232140639_thumb.jpg

I do not know bones of any kind. Im assuming that caudal means 'tail' end verts? But now, what speices is it mr. tracer? Im guessing that could be real tuff?

RB

caudal vert?

Good eyeball bonedigger. Ive been going through some boxes of stuff and laying stuff out, prepping other stuff and just getting ready for this trip to Arizona. But yeah, a big ole tooth from a mammoth from the bottom of the North Sea. I traded a guy years ago for 13 of these things, Got a few left so Im taking this one and a smaller one too.

RB

Is that a mammoth tooth in the background?

I do not know bones of any kind. Im assuming that caudal means 'tail' end verts? But now, what speices is it mr. tracer? Im guessing that could be real tuff?

RB

Does no-one read my post simply because it wasn't sticky? This topic will tell you that and MUCH much more:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4360

The picture you need to check out is here:

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/shdguide/skeletons.jpg

Turok1copy.png

rjb - hi, how ya doin', man? look, i just threw out "caudal vert" because i do stuff like that, ok? i really don't have the slightest idea what all stuff you have, although i suspect it's cool, just knowin' you.

ron, it looks like it is a sauropod caudal, tail vertebra. it is jurassic in age, if it was found in hanksville, which it looks like it was. Morrison Fm. the size tells me that if it is indeed a sauropod caudal that it is about 1/2 to 2/3 down the tail.

also it is unlikely diplodocus because of the lack of a large depression in the bottom. ( i assume this from the photo but i guess it may be hiding) that leaves three likely candadates. camarasaurus and apatosaurus or brachiosaurus. brachiosaurs are pretty rare though.

Brock

ron, it looks like it is a sauropod caudal, tail vertebra. it is jurassic in age, if it was found in hanksville, which it looks like it was. Morrison Fm. the size tells me that if it is indeed a sauropod caudal that it is about 1/2 to 2/3 down the tail.

also it is unlikely diplodocus because of the lack of a large depression in the bottom. ( i assume this from the photo but i guess it may be hiding) that leaves three likely candadates. camarasaurus and apatosaurus or brachiosaurus. brachiosaurs are pretty rare though.

Brock

I'd agree- I believe it's an Apatosaurus about 2/3 down the tail (it's too small to be higher up than that, I think)

Of course that is my conclusion, and not necessarily the correct one. I'd like to see what it is, though.

Turok1copy.png