Fossil Artist's Grants

Bev

There are a lot of talented people here! I would like to encourage you to look into grants for your art or teaching your art to others. Art comes in so many forms other than drawing and painting. Woodcarving, sculpting, blanket weaving, song and dance of course, poetry, etc. are all forms of art.

Almost non-represented are fossils in art! When I did a search on the internet about the only thing I found with fossils in art was an exposition of fossil slabs as art in Germany. As you know, I create jewelry out of fossils - no fossil harmed. Recently I wrote my first grant application to expand on my art. No, I didn't get the $2,500 for an emerging artist, but I learned a lot and will reapply.

If you do an internet search in your state or country for "... art grants" you will find many resources. Especially if you are disabled or retired, this is a wonderful way to acquire a little extra cash, indulge your creativity AND share it with others as a capstone event (public unveiling) is usually part of the grant requirement.

You do not need to be a perfect writer and the writing itself is usually confined to 3 pages. Please send pictures of your previous work with it - I didn't realize I could do that. Thefossilforum.com can be part of your strategy to publicize your work for the world to see.

There are also many art teaching positions available from a few hours to several days out there that pay well. Sharing your fascination with fossils and nature could change a child's life for the better!

Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that matters is that YOU love it - then it is ART to you!

I truly believe that we, here on TFF, can make an indent into the art world and give our fossils a rightful place as, in, and part of, artistic creations!

Please feel free to ask questions - I'm no expert, but I'm probably a step ahead of you. Or feel free to PM me.

Beverly Sandlin

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Great post! :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

:D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Nice post Bev.

Time is what i need. Are there grants for more "time"? Lol

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice post Bev.

Time is what i need. Are there grants for more "time"? Lol

LOL You are so funny! :D

Seriously, most grants incorporate a 50% - 75% stipend for the artist to give them time to develop the art. So, depending upon how much your grant is, you could take a week or a month of non-paid leave off of work to create the art.

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

You are a good reason this forum is so great

WOW, Grampa Dino, thank you for the wonderful compliment!

You too you know. It takes the whole of us to make TFF such a great educational and supportive fossil forum! :fistbump:

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Archived