Dimetrodon Update!

dinodigger

Hey Gang,

Just got in from another good day in the field. Continued digging into the wall to uncover more of Patti and Matthew, the latter is the newest of the Dimetrodon grandis species that appeared this week. Best find of the day was Patti's ulna. I found her left one a few months ago finally found her right today. She has pretty elbows. Tried using that line once and it worked!! Anyhoooo, the ulna is stunning. Great great shape. Uncrushed and complete. Just beautiful and huge. We have a few ulna's from the loomisi species and what a difference. Just night and day. The proximal and distal ends are just so much more robust.

Got more of Patti's neural spines exposed as well. We are all in agreement that they are the thickest we've ever seen. We've also never really seen a drawing of a grandis skeleton describing the neural spines like the ones patti has. I'm going to be doing a new rendition of the grandis skeleton after we get the jacket in the lab. Going to be fun re-describing grandis. The longest spine so far is almost 4 feet. Add two more feet to get to the tip. Add the body thickness. The beast will be ten feet tall. Holy snarge. Our loomisi's are always right around 5 or 6. Unreal.

Matthew's humungu-gigantical skull is coming along super slow as well. The thin edges around the maxilla are pretty brittle. Glue... Pick... Glue... Pick... Dang! GlueGlueGlueGlueGlue. Pick. And so on. Did get two more massive post canines exposed. Tooth count is up to 8 now. Should be just about near the end of the max given the amount of teeth. Grandis has proven to have just about 8 or 9 post canines. Loomisi always more 12 or 14. Nice to have the difference.

I through in a pick of a great fang. Found in the Sternberg spoil pile. Rains washed it out. Wow.

CF

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45026327@N05/sets/72157642882980604/

Great! Thanks again.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Great report as usual, where is the museum, guess I missed that post----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing! Keep the pictures coming please!! I love the Permian.

(Need help?)

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."