Venice Beach Dive Charters - Which One?

fossilguy

Hello all,

I find myself heading to Florida for a week in the middle of June for non-fossil related stuff (Boooo!). However, I plan on sneaking away and squeezing out two days worth of diving at Venice Beach while I'm in Florida.

I found two main charters:

Florida West Scuba and Charters

and

Aristakat Charters

They both go out on the same days, similar time, same general area, and have similar prices.

Has anyone used either of these charters before? I'm not sure which on to book. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments about either one?

Thanks!

Jayson

http://www.fossilguy.com

Edited by fossilguy

Hey Jayson,

I have went out with both, and liked both the charters. It has been four years since going out with the Aristakat (captain Jamie) so some of the following information may have changed since then. I went out with Florida West for 6 dives last year and have gone out with them a little more out of convenience. When I went out with Jamie, it was cheaper, but you had to bring your own tanks, so the price evened out, as I had to rent from Florida West. Also, Jamie did not have a dock to load and unload your gear or wash it when you were done. For these reasons, I have went with Florida West more often. But Jamie has a smaller boat (holds 6 divers as opposed to 12 with Florida West), so there are few less divers looking for teeth in one area (and usually diving along the same compass heading depending on the current). Also, I would say Jamie is a little more friendly and personable then the guys at Florida West (not saying the Florida West staff is not friendly, they are). So it really depends what you are looking for out of the charter. If you prefer a smaller boat with a friendly captain, and can do without the convenience of a boat dock, fresh water tub and dive shop (along with the amenities that go with it), then go with the Aristakat. If you want a bigger boat, with the amenities previously mentioned, and still a friendly staff, go with Florida West. Hope this was helpful!

Kind regards,

Jay

Edited by Hunt4teeth
  • I found this Informative 2

Thanks allot!

I simply assumed the boats held the same amount of people! I'll probably go with the smaller boat.

Thanks again!

I agree with hunt4teeth. I've also been on both. I prefer Jamie and the smaller amount of divers. Jamie now can provide tanks for an extra fee. Neither boat will run if they don't have a minimum number of divers, it cost alot to move that boat. So when it gets close to the dates you are going find out who has enough booked., particularly if it's a weekday. neither boat will run if viz is really bad, there are times when you can't see at all. check out this scubaboard link it's a page just for Venice lots of good info http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/venice-fossil-divers/

• I found this Informative 1

Been out with Aristakat 6 times and have never been disappointed. I have never brought my own tanks with Jamie, he will bring tanks and rents them out for the same price as the scuba shops if you tell him in advance. He always has cold water bottles for in between dives, and he puts you on the teeth, overall great experience.

Thanks everyone! Aristakat with the smaller boat sounds the best, plus it has more potential to fill up for the dives. I was planning Fri - Sun to dive, I figure the weekends would have better chances of filling up.

Later,

Thanks again,

Jayson