Dinosaur, Shark Fossils From Sussex Weald,england.

Jonwealden

Great pterosaur tooth, I really hope you find the missing piece, is it Ornithocheirus?

Cheers, yes i think Ornithocheirus, Maybe a juvenile.

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

• 3 weeks later...

You're pretty good at finding nice fossils, and knowing what you've found: my hat is off to you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice stuff. Any chance we can get a better look at that little jaw... it doesn't look fishy to me.

It's definately a Hybodus jaw in a nodule. I have other images, will have to go through some CD files to find them. Managed to find a few dozen Hybodont skulls / heads in varying states of preservation over the past 16 years. Some very crushed and distorted, some partial, some in good 3-D form (buried head down presumably)

Very nice stuff. Any chance we can get a better look at that little jaw... it doesn't look fishy to me.

It's definately a Hybodus jaw in a nodule. I have other images, will have to go through some CD files to find them. Managed to find a few dozen Hybodont skulls / heads in varying states of preservation over the past 16 years. Some very crushed and distorted, some partial, some in good 3-D form (buried head down presumably)

I think hehas his eye on this one:

opqolj.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Ooooh sorry :rolleyes: . I'd forgotten i'd uploaded that fossil ! Yes, i did wonder if amphibian. Will upload some more pic's of the fossil

Hi Jon

It's always an absolute pleasure to see what you have found......Although it makes me sick with envy!!

I'd love to know if any of these finds were in situ, or were they all loose on the shore?

Hi Gideon

The vast majority of finds made here are loose. I do come across in situ fossils occasionally.

The storms stripped the beaches here, thus managed to collect quite a few decent fossils this winter.

Cheers

Your finds continue to amaze me Jon, that Baryonyx jaw section and all those fantastic dinosaur vertebrae... wow.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Cheers Nathan. makes the hunt all worthwhile. I love any theropod i find. Not only because it's rare, but because i really get a sense of those awesome animals by holding the fossil, the first touch by a human, and how we are now able to view more accurately just how these creatures behaved and appeared. Im glad the birds / theropods survived the meteor ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these incredible finds.

I enjoy seeing the unusual assortment of things and the different forms of preservation you find.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very cool!

Well, wasn't cool walking them back home ! Weighing quite a lot on my shoulder but worth it. If i hadn't brought them home, they would be damaged and destroyed by the sea within a few years of exposure.

I've seen a couple of prepped specimens from that deposit before including a Hybodus skull. It's interesting to see an unprepped specimen. Is the matrix limestone?

A friend once sent me a matrix plate from the Wadhurst Clay. It ranges from 3 to 10mm in thickness and is roughly the shape of the state of Nevada but with an irregular northwestern border. It is composed entirely of tiny pebbles cemented together, the particles being coarser than beach sand but the piece would be called sandstone. Among the particles is a tiny hybodont tooth and a possible fish scale. Do you find this layer as well?

Cheers. It would have to be acid prepped. I've never undertaken this. At the least, its needing some general accentuation, and the right jaw brought out. I like it as it is, for now.....

I've seen a couple of prepped specimens from that deposit before including a Hybodus skull. It's interesting to see an unprepped specimen. Is the matrix limestone?

A friend once sent me a matrix plate from the Wadhurst Clay. It ranges from 3 to 10mm in thickness and is roughly the shape of the state of Nevada but with an irregular northwestern border. It is composed entirely of tiny pebbles cemented together, the particles being coarser than beach sand but the piece would be called sandstone. Among the particles is a tiny hybodont tooth and a possible fish scale. Do you find this layer as well?

The matrix is Ironstone. Hopefully the shark head will come out well.

The matrix you describe sounds like the typical flood deposits i find occasionally,having various debris and bones collected therein.

• 2 months later...

Sounds amazing, I can't wait to see it.

Were there any teeth or roots preserved?

Sounds amazing, I can't wait to see it.

Were there any teeth or roots preserved?

No teeth,mustve fallen out before burial, but the bone is so well preserved, and has some nice sockets. The tooth gouges are pretty prominent !

Went down again this morning after more 50mph winds scouring the beaches, found a real cute juvenile Ankylosaur footcast and a large really well defined dromaeosaur footcast with long thin toes, inside toe absent owing to it being raised when the foot went down. Will post up some pic's later or tomorrow , cheers

Archived