Dinosaur, Shark Fossils From Sussex Weald,england.

Jonwealden

Pterosaur manus and pes print examples

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/40662235_fig3_Figure-3-A-two-left-manus-prints-MUCPv-21-B-left-manus-pes-set-MUCPv-23-C-right

Obviously, borne in mind, species variation will result in ichno variation. It takes some experience of any given area and its fossils before one becomes zoned in to spotting them. Most of the ornithopod are quite obvious. The ankylosaur rather obvious too, as the profiles are quite distinct (see my pictorial video that clearly shows this ! ;)  ).

The crocodyliform differ from the ankylosaur  and only found 3 definates, which are manus, but this is a species print (Hulkepholis) i have only recently become familiar with where i search.

Sauropod pes sometimes  has the larger clawed toe jutting forth. The manus are somewhat kidney shaped, a few of which i have found. Generally, Sauropod ichno's are quire rare.

The Pterosaur are very rare too of course, only a few found in the past few years, but only relatively recently become familiar with these.  The pes are oft somewhat elongate and somewhat arrow shaped.

The manus prints are rather odd shaped, and obviously would vary species to species. The area where i search is excellent for reptilian prints / casts. Its not surprising to me regarding the variety.

For research, the internet is the obvious tool for anyone to identify whatever they may find, and i use this to check out other peoples material too. Most ichno's i find are quite distinct to those who are more familiar with ichno's in general, as illustrated in my video. I have come to see this area as very special and important, regarding this field

In the footsteps of Mantell and Anning, searching for dinosaur with a passion !

19 hours ago, DarrenElliot said:

How incredibly interesting @Jonwealden was the unusually straight lines something you had pondered for a while.

Yes, i did ponder it, its so unusual. As i said, both these casts were found very close to each other, obviously left and right prints. Will keep looking for more in the area

4 hours ago, DarrenElliot said:

@Jonwealden I'm trying to picture in my mind. The Pterosaur with wings draped between it's feet as it stands or walks along. 

The wing would be on the outside of the am/hand, not between the feet.

Tony

PS Really cool finds!!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

The wing would be on the outside of the am/hand, not between the feet.

Tony

PS Really cool finds!!

Oooo I see. I'm resisting all temptations to Google. Would you know how the straight lines are formed.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

6 hours ago, Jonwealden said:

Pterosaur manus and pes print examples

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/40662235_fig3_Figure-3-A-two-left-manus-prints-MUCPv-21-B-left-manus-pes-set-MUCPv-23-C-right

Obviously, borne in mind, species variation will result in ichno variation. It takes some experience of any given area and its fossils before one becomes zoned in to spotting them. Most of the ornithopod are quite obvious. The ankylosaur rather obvious too, as the profiles are quite distinct (see my pictorial video that clearly shows this ! ;)  ).

The crocodyliform differ from the ankylosaur  and only found 3 definates, which are manus, but this is a species print (Hulkepholis) i have only recently become familiar with where i search.

Sauropod pes sometimes  has the larger clawed toe jutting forth. The manus are somewhat kidney shaped, a few of which i have found. Generally, Sauropod ichno's are quire rare.

The Pterosaur are very rare too of course, only a few found in the past few years, but only relatively recently become familiar with these.  The pes are oft somewhat elongate and somewhat arrow shaped.

The manus prints are rather odd shaped, and obviously would vary species to species. The area where i search is excellent for reptilian prints / casts. Its not surprising to me regarding the variety.

For research, the internet is the obvious tool for anyone to identify whatever they may find, and i use this to check out other peoples material too. Most ichno's i find are quite distinct to those who are more familiar with ichno's in general, as illustrated in my video. I have come to see this area as very special and important, regarding this field

Thanks, Jon. 

I understand how our field experience enhances our ability to distinguish between what is a random geologic feature vs. an ichnofossil or fossil.  The experience is similar, in concept, to recognizing modern tracks or partial tracks.  The familiarity increases, the more you see.  I'm sure the same principle applies to discerning Mazon Creek fossils. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 hours ago, DarrenElliot said:

Oooo I see. I'm resisting all temptations to Google. Would you know how the straight lines are formed.

The wing of a pterosaur is held by the elongated fourth finger bone. I think that would make the straight edge of the impression.

Tony

Edit: The fingers would be folded into a fist(?) and the wing finger would be pointing to the back. (If they were knuckle walkers, like extant apes.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 12/10/2016 at 4:14 PM, JohnJ said:

Thanks, Jon. 

I understand how our field experience enhances our ability to distinguish between what is a random geologic feature vs. an ichnofossil or fossil.  The experience is similar, in concept, to recognizing modern tracks or partial tracks.  The familiarity increases, the more you see.  I'm sure the same principle applies to discerning Mazon Creek fossils. 

Hi John

Yes indeed familiarity takes time. I was walking over a newly exposed area today, and come across a few obvious ichno fossils...and a few i couldn't be certain with, due to erosion and perhaps malformation.

I did find a couple of very nice theropod prints, shall post in the next couple of days.

P.S   Thanks for clarifying Tony. Pterosaurs were quite oddball, how they walked. I guess it was kind of ape like

Recent finds from past few days, theropod raised footprint, with scales apparent

IMG_8823.JPG

Theropod imprint, delineated by a raised rim

IMG_8837.JPG

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Iguanodon Dinosaur 78 cm right femur.  Found in a few pieces in close proximity, in a shallow gully 2 miles east of Bexhill, Sussex. England.

Quite a slender femur. Still some work to do, some pieces to glue that were scattered about nearby.

I revisited a couple of days after collecting the pieces and was confronted with a sandbank, so thank goodness i come across it when i did. Otherwise those prox and distal ends wouldve been a lot more worn second time around.

Does not compare well with the two described from this locale, Hypselospinus and Barilium. This femur is more slender yet of very similar length to both. It compares better with Mantellisaurus but with an age difference, this being 135-138 mya approx as compared to 120-129mya.

20170428_195252.thumb.jpg.bbb64fdf19a0568919d1978afd75beda.jpg

20170429_071212.thumb.jpg.da3f131ebff22c6dd718f7c4b610bd72.jpg20170429_071154.thumb.jpg.4e6571c2c7016dfeaec2a0d2484d1dc6.jpg

@Jonwealden considering the collecting conditions you did a great job gathering the pieces together. And saving such a great specimen as opposed to the tide inflicting more damage on it.

Well done to you.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Thanks, i will keep a check on the area for any more parts 

Archived