Saturday Morning Live!

JohnJ

OK, all friends, colleagues, jesters, and lurkers grab another bowl of Sonny the Sabertooth Fossils Flakes (there gggrrreaat!) and another cup of LaBrea Tar Mocha Latte, pull the monitor close and get ready because we're LIVE FROM THE CRETACEOUS IN TEXAS! IT'S SATURDAY MORNING!

On the show first this morning are a few finds not 30 minutes old. Dan kicks it off with these...

post-420-0-18571900-1321658891_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-85416700-1321658910_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-63016200-1321658947_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-24047700-1321659276_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates.... Oh, Dan just found another dinged Salenia...we have to conserve battery power in the field. biggrin.gif

(ahemmm...tracer could you fill in while go find the next guest...)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Pretty cool, John J, Dan etc.

I don't recognize the first fossil?

Live hunting pics. Could become

spoiled with this.. :D

Welcome to the forum!

We're still out here! Been too busy finding...guests to interview. We found more of the Salenia sisters. Roz, are you referring to the partial crab claw? Pics shortly....

We're still out here! Been too busy finding...guests to interview. We found more of the Salenia sisters. Roz, are you referring to the partial crab claw? Pics shortly....

Yes, I don't know why they always look like small

unidentified jaws to me. Fall for it every time...

What formation is that..Coricana? I always try

to guess the formations by looks and fossils found...

Ok to take all the sisters but leave a few cousins..

just kidding...

Welcome to the forum!

Dan's guests from the Kgr...

post-420-0-01088900-1321659454_thumb.jpg

My guests...

post-420-0-51099800-1321659579_thumb.jpg

Off to the next stop!

Nice, I wish I was down there with you guys.

(John, how's that tusk coming, I want to see some pictures of that!)

I took the wife out today and we managed to dig some more ptychodus teeth out of solid Limestone. I'd bet there are more there, but I'm tired of beating on that rock for them.

post-40-1232217078_thumb.jpg

post-40-1232217100_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Alas Solius we are torn down here between wearing and not wearing gloves....our hands quickly became overheated in such prime collecting weather, yet passing so many regular echinoids across our bare fingers can be quite rough on the skin....could you please send us some mesh gloves??? Mua ha ha!

I thought that it was warm in Texas??? What is with the gloves?

Nice stuff! Wish I was there.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

And a rip snortin' good day it was despite the drought...we found 2 new sites, one giving John several Salenia texana echinoids and one giving me 3 Coenholectypus planatus and one Loriolia rosana echinoid. We hit a tried and true Salenia site only to find it partially ripped up by construction...thumbs down soon turned into thumbs up since the disturbance in the Salenia zone followed by last week's 1/4 inch of rain served to rejuvenate that part of the site, and we both made away with a handful of Salenia each. The last site produced a few S. texana, John's spectacular Tetragramma echinoid, and my rare, probably undescribed floating crinoid...........a splendid day it was for us both, exceeding all expectations! I had to leave early to take a gal out to dinner, but John was still there hunched over, slobbering, and blind mining for Salenia as I walked out...in the distance I could still hear his occasional sinister laugh.....more specimen images to come............

Grüße,

oh, now wait a darn minute! ok, i like this new format, but i was unfortunately not here to tap-dance in between your field reports as tj and i were out ourselves. and it was not cold. by noon tj was whining that he was hot, and he was only wearing a tjshirt and jeans. i saw a field with the most geese i've ever seen in my life in it. it was unbelievable. yeah, fossils were had too.

now, i want to get something straight here. did someone who has on numerous occasions implied that nothing should supersede fossil hunting indicate he left an associate afield finding fossils to go take out some person of the female persuasion to dinner (how'd ya like that grammar [heh])? i would just like to go on record as saying that i myself have never succumbed to anything the slightestly hormonal whilst in pursuit of things fossiliferous.

but anyway, i love this new field reporting and encourage its continuation at all times possible.

Here are a few more in situ shots for those weatherbound...more pics when we get some things cleaned up. Enjoy.

Dan's floating crinoid

post-420-0-80482900-1321659716_thumb.jpg

My Tetragramma (?)

post-420-0-83015000-1321660040_thumb.jpg post-420-0-35327900-1321660052_thumb.jpg

Heteraster "crash hash"

post-420-0-24063900-1321660107_thumb.jpg

Salenia sisters...

post-420-0-35486800-1321660344_thumb.jpg

Why yes Mr. Tracer, I did find myself ingesting toothsome comestibles in the company of a friend this evening, and somehow I resisted the urge to segway into fossils on many occasions. However, she did inquire into the finds of the day, so I indulged her. And my floating crinoid came to hand at the very moment moment she rang my cell phone to confirm our outing...of course she was complimented on bringing lady luck to the excursion.

However, a different and "highly credentialed" out of state newbie has recently requested one on one, shoulder to shoulder field tutelage with a concentration in prospecting for "those puffy things with the star on top", as well as a crash course in the discharging of firearms and development of marksmanship skills. As an altruistic sort with a penchant for assisting "highly credentialed" yet underprivileged subjects, I feel compelled to do my part and "take one for the team" here on the Fossil Forum. Perhaps more field photos to follow in the ensuing weeks???

All that being said, I feel that it is now necessary to switch gears back to the original theme of this thread and view more of John's field photos...........Johnny???

has requested

oh, now wait a darn minute! ok, i like this new format, but i was unfortunately not here to tap-dance in between your field reports as tj and i were out ourselves. and it was not cold. by noon tj was whining that he was hot, and he was only wearing a tjshirt and jeans. i saw a field with the most geese i've ever seen in my life in it. it was unbelievable. yeah, fossils were had too.

now, i want to get something straight here. did someone who has on numerous occasions implied that nothing should supersede fossil hunting indicate he left an associate afield finding fossils to go take out some person of the female persuasion to dinner (how'd ya like that grammar [heh])? i would just like to go on record as saying that i myself have never succumbed to anything the slightestly hormonal whilst in pursuit of things fossiliferous.

but anyway, i love this new field reporting and encourage its continuation at all times possible.

Grüße,

No imposters on this trip - the grubbier of the two sets of fingernails belongs to moi............

Grüße,

Now I officially hate living in Pennsylvania. It was -7 this morning, and there's snow on the ground. Wish I was hunting in Texas. I'll bring gloves.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

You guys did good! ;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Cool stuff guys!

Hopefully we'll have as good of luck tomorrow at Whiskey Bridge.

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

No imposters on this trip - the grubbier of the two sets of fingernails belongs to moi............

Who belongs to that sliver of a fingernail???I've got a friend who has genitcs like that!!!!!!!!LOL

Cool stuff guys!

Hopefully we'll have as good of luck tomorrow at Whiskey Bridge.

O

Whiskey Bridge..... Did I miss a trip or something????????????

Whiskey Bridge..... Did I miss a trip or something????????????

Yeah, I thought Whiskey Bridge was next weekend or the one after?

You did see 3 Salenia "sisters"....

post-420-1232297253_thumb.jpg

"Hey Dan, I found a Salenia." (camera coming out, dime in place, focus and...) "Whoa; there's another one!" (looking over toward Dan, then back at the pair, camera and...) "WHOAAA! There are 3 right together!"

One of those paleontological moments that we love.

...I feel that it is now necessary to switch gears back to the original theme of this thread and view more of John's field photos...........Johnny???

Finally got the last of the field photos edited. It was a good trip; one on which we both learned something new about what's old.

One of Dan's micro Salenia.

post-420-1232302357_thumb.jpg

Dan's tooth discovery...uncommon for the site.

post-420-1232302607_thumb.jpg

Ownership noted by the distal phalange..

post-420-1232302704_thumb.jpg

Dan's Globator / Salenia double play...really cool!

post-420-1232302770_thumb.jpg

Several of my micro Salenia finds...

post-420-1232303187_thumb.jpg

post-420-1232303232_thumb.jpg

post-420-1232303265_thumb.jpg

post-420-1232303300_thumb.jpg

Notice the size differential between the micro and macro sized Salenia. The compartments are about 1.5" x 1.25". Those are crab claws and frags below the micro echies.

post-420-1232303758_thumb.jpg