Ichno Fossils

Rockin' Ric

Went fossil collecting today, it was too beautiful to be in front of a computer working! Found a number of Ichno Fossils consisting of Arborichnus Repetita (small horseshoe crab resting traces) and what could be trilobite tracks? Comments and identification are welcomed. Carboniferous Period/Pottsville Formation/Alabama USA

post-5318-0-81105500-1396225766_thumb.jpg

Dual Arborichnus Repetita resting trace

post-5318-0-73864100-1396225786_thumb.jpg

Overlap of Arborichnus Repetita resting trace

post-5318-0-51194700-1396225808_thumb.jpg

Arborichnus Repetita resting trace to the left, not sure what the trace is to the right?

post-5318-0-50904500-1396225821_thumb.jpg

Lower portion, appears to be a party of AR resting traces and the larger tracks could be that of trilobites?

Fossildude19

Man those are cool, Rick!

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Yep Ric, it was a nice day down here too! Fossil hunting for traces or critters or plants would have been much more appealing than pulling weeds. :) Thanks for the photos--great stuff! Regards, Chris

:wub: , as always with your ichnos!

I don't know what made the larger tracks; could have been trilos, I suppose, but they are not the typical cruziana usually ascribed to them.

Rockin' Ric

:wub: , as always with your ichnos!

I don't know what made the larger tracks; could have been trilos, I suppose, but they are not the typical cruziana usually ascribed to them.

Thanks Chaz, I saw this pic on this site which looks like those larger tracks... they may have been guessing as well???? http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/tracefossils.htm

It would be nice to know what made them, already have several others that look like the ones found today.

Rockin' Ric

Thanks Tim, Lissa and Chris, love finding the Ichno Fossils!

Pretty cool. Actually we should expect resting traces to look different from tracks.

Wrangellian

I would guess those are trilo tracks just based on what I've seen on ebay... You may know the ones I'm talking about - if not, do a search, they're on there regularly.

Anyway, great stuff, you always have interesting things to show!