What Traces Will Humans Leave Behind For Future Paleontologists?

Doctor Mud

I haven't read the paper yet, but this seems to be interesting.

It talks about the traces that humans might leave behind after Homo sapiens becomes extinct.

They call the remains of human technology "technofossils".

After we become extinct and perhaps cultures from other planets come to earth and explore its natural history perhaps they will find these technofossils which would provide a glimpse into our world.

I guess this would be similar to what archaeologists are already doing with "technofossils" form earlier cultures.

I wonder what types of technology would or could be preserved and how long they would survive in the fossil record? I guess this would depend on the depositional environment just like other fossils.

Food for thought.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140325094806.htm

I've actually given thought on how our civilization would appear in the stratigraphic record. I imagine there would be a global horizon akin to the K-T boundary, with remnants of buried artifacts and infrastructure preserved at and beneath this horizon....

On a day in the distant future, a group of explorers is hiking above the tree line in the great chain of mountains in the western part of the supercontinent. The best evidence of a long-vanished civilization tend to be preserved in sedimentary rocks deposited by rivers, and those spotted in a mountainside during a reconnaissance showed some promise. As they approach the outcrop, they encounter pieces of strange matter in the talus. They climb the slope until they come across a telltale mottled layer. Bits of the matter can be seen weathering out here and there. In places, there appears to be pillar-like structures in the rock. From studies in other areas of the planet, the explorers recognized these as the remnants of building foundations....

Context is critical.

It will probably like all those shows that plots in the far future where they get everything wrong like a jukebox being called an Ipod.

Dr Jan Zalasiewicz has written a book specifically "about the traces that

humans might leave behind after Homo sapiens becomes extinct." The book is:

Zalasiewicz, Jan, 2008, The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave

in the Rocks? Oxford University Press. 251 pp. ISBN 978–0–19–921497–6

http://www.le.ac.uk/ebulletin-archive/ebulletin/publications/2000-2009/2008/09/nparticle.2008-09-25.html

The paper being discussed is:

Zalasiewicz, I., M. Williams, C. N. Waters, A. D. Barnosky, and P. Haff,

2014, The technofossil record of humans. The Anthropocene Review.

vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 34-43. DOI: 10.1177/2053019613514953

http://anr.sagepub.com/content/1/1/34

Yours,

Paul H.

Edited by Oxytropidoceras

thanks Paul :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

This 'hill' is 250' higher than any thing for miles.

Dig here to find out more than you need to know about our long departed civilization.

;)

post-4721-0-97408500-1396278795_thumb.jpg

Edited by squali

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

We'll leave some spectacular middens, like Mount Trashmore in Virginia Beach.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Mining and quarrying also leaves long-lasting traces. And our radioactive waste will show signs of intelligent (?) manipulation for millions of years.

So if there was a full-scale civilization like ours back in, say, the Pennsylvanian or Cretaceous, what would still remain? I would think metal and plastic artifacts would be reduced to oxide and carbon, if anything at all. Perhaps we'd have to depend on casts and molds in the sediment (i.e. rock), just as we do now.

Context is critical.

I guess it all really comes down to 'how we go'. There would be different traces of things left behind in different extinction scenarios.

I would say space junk and anything left on the Moon, Mars rovers, etc would last most end-time scenarios.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Actually some plastics become very brittle and break down quite easily after only a few months of exposure.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

What if they find Piranha's fossil collection?! :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Any metals fashioned into things that do not tarnish (gold, SS, etc) would still be around. There would be trace fossils of beams, electrical wires, Jimmy Hoffa, you know anything poured into concrete. Id also say anything underground that isn't near a fault line, dirt and rock are great insulators against fire

And they say McDonald's burgers last forever.

~Charlie~

What if they find Piranha's fossil collection?! :o

Chalk it up to 'time averaging'. :)

Context is critical.

And what will last the longest? Twinkies, or their plastic wrappers?

Context is critical.

I've actually given thought on how our civilization would appear in the stratigraphic record. I imagine there would be a global horizon akin to the K-T boundary, with remnants of buried artifacts and infrastructure preserved at and beneath this horizon....

On a day in the distant future, a group of explorers is hiking above the tree line in the great chain of mountains in the western part of the supercontinent. The best evidence of a long-vanished civilization tend to be preserved in sedimentary rocks deposited by rivers, and those spotted in a mountainside during a reconnaissance showed some promise. As they approach the outcrop, they encounter pieces of strange matter in the talus. They climb the slope until they come across a telltale mottled layer. Bits of the matter can be seen weathering out here and there. In places, there appears to be pillar-like structures in the rock. From studies in other areas of the planet, the explorers recognized these as the remnants of building foundations....

Nice piece of writing Missourian. Its like an excerpt from a good sci fi novel.

Dr Jan Zalasiewicz has written a book specifically "about the traces that

humans might leave behind after Homo sapiens becomes extinct." The book is:

Zalasiewicz, Jan, 2008, The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave

in the Rocks? Oxford University Press. 251 pp. ISBN 978–0–19–921497–6

http://www.le.ac.uk/ebulletin-archive/ebulletin/publications/2000-2009/2008/09/nparticle.2008-09-25.html

The paper being discussed is:

Zalasiewicz, I., M. Williams, C. N. Waters, A. D. Barnosky, and P. Haff,

2014, The technofossil record of humans. The Anthropocene Review.

vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 34-43. DOI: 10.1177/2053019613514953

http://anr.sagepub.com/content/1/1/34

Yours,

Paul H.

Thanks Paul!

Thanks for the link to the book and for clarifying the paper that the news article that I linked to discusses. I think I will try and get a copy of this book. I wonder if this is the same book I remember a friend of mine reading a while back. One of the chapters was discussing how we might warn future civilisations of the location of our toxic waste dump sites (e.g radioactive waste) using universal symbols or devices.

This 'hill' is 250' higher than any thing for miles.

Dig here to find out more than you need to know about our long departed civilization.

;)

Major bioturbation or megascale trace fossils!

So if there was a full-scale civilization like ours back in, say, the Pennsylvanian or Cretaceous, what would still remain? I would think metal and plastic artifacts would be reduced to oxide and carbon, if anything at all. Perhaps we'd have to depend on casts and molds in the sediment (i.e. rock), just as we do now.

Hard to imagine what might be left. Also depends on how we go like fossilized6s was saying. I guess a nuclear holocaust or meteorite impact might wipe out some evidence but I imagine there would still be remains preserved in some deposits. I guess it would depend on the depositional environment - anoxic or oxygen rich, the presence of micro-organisms etc. I just think of the deposits where impressions of soft bodied organisms are preserved, like the Ediacara fauna and Burgess shale.

I guess there would also be chemical traces of human life akin to the traces geologists have used to study the evolution of life on earth - the proliferation of photsynthetic organisms and increase in atmospheric oxygen in the past. What would we see from humans?

We will leave a chemical signature too. Changes in isotopic ratios, radionuclides, some synthetic organic molecules, etc. Anything in higher orbits or on the moon should last a while too.

One word... Plastics.

Lets hope JPC. in the picture I previously posted the area in the foreground is under construction to extend the landfill in the background.

The base consists of 6 geosynthetic layers- the top has 2

section reads from bottom up

Thickness Description Application

Varies Engineered structural fill to grade foundation

~10mm GCL (Geosynthetic Clay Liner) a combination of bentonite and geosynthetics permeability 1x10^-8cm/sec

60 mil HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Geomembrane Secondary geomembrane

~13mm Geocomposite -a combination of non woven geotextile and polyethylene net. Secondary liquid collection

~10mm GCL (Geosynthetic Clay Liner) a combination of bentonite and geosynthetics permeability 1x10^-8cm/sec

60 mil HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) Geomembrane Primary geomembrane

~7mm 16oz/sqyd nonwoven geotextile puncture resistance

~460mm clean subrounded stone 1" max -with pvc collection piping protective cover-liquid collection

Varies If you can think of it you will find it prevent disease and pestilence

~310mm Intermediate cover (soil with 1" max particle size) subbase for geomembrane

~50mil Textured HDPE Geomembrane Final Cap geomembrane

~5mm 12oz/sqyd nonwoven geotextile puncture resistance-drainage

~610mm Soil cover with top 6" capable of supporting vegetation UV protection

The trend has been to turn the mega landfills to bioreactors where the gas production is expedited by recirculating

liquid collected in the bottom throughout the disposal area. About the only thing left after the bacteria are done

are plastics and glass

Edited by squali

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Most landfills will completely erode away with the landscape and end up as detritus in deltaic deposits. Some near coastlines (New Orleans, South Jersey?) may be preserved at least partially intact. It's funny and ironic to think that paleontologists in the distant future would consider landfills, of all things, to be lagerstätten. :)

Context is critical.