Gomphothere Tooth

32fordboy

Here is a tooth I recently aquired. It's a great tooth, but I'd like to know more about it. Here's the info I have on it:

Period/Age ____________Late Oligocen to Miocene

Rock Unit _________________any of the following:

_________________________Jiaozigou (Oligocene)

____________________Dongxiang (Early Miocene)

__________________________Laogou (Middle Mio)

_________________________Liushu (Late Miocene)

Locality: Linxia Valley, Gansu Province, China

I did research, but can't figure this out. Is there any way to tell what formation this most likey came from and, therefore, what type of gomphothere it belongs to? I am not familiar with the formations in Linxia Valley, Gansu, China. Any help would be much appreciated, though I don't think we'll get very far with this.

If the rock unit and age can't be figured, what species of Gophotheres would fit the area and general time?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

post-741-1232237526_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

im not sure Nick but I was trying to win a Gomphothere tooth off ebay that looked just like that, and it listed the species, it was from the same place. To bad I dont have the link, if I did I could tell you, sorry man.

Guest bmorefossil
This might be the same one, then. It's the one with the "home-depot" fix that still needs a little work.

dang! how much did you pay for it? I put a bid in for $150 but it didnt go through!

I got it for $92. Must not have been the same one. Either that or you got the last bid in too late, or a computer glitch or something.

I know of some more cheapy Gomph teeth for sale. I sent you a PM. Let me know how it turns out!

Guest bmorefossil
I got it for $92. Must not have been the same one. Either that or you got the last bid in too late, or a computer glitch or something.

I know of some more cheapy Gomph teeth for sale. I sent you a PM. Let me know how it turns out!

it was the same one, sniff sniff, i told some members about it that night, how i made a bid and then the tooth was removed!

Guest bmorefossil
That's really weird! I feel kinda bad. Hopefully you'll get something out of the info I sent you. The deal should be just as good if not better.

Nick

na thats the tooth i wanted, but its all good in the end things happen for a reason, i need my money for gas and i bought a meg from a new cal. so im ok, ill be selling some stuff to make more money.

Yeah, I like 'em too. The teeth are neater than run-of-the-mill mammoth or mastodon teeth, I think. Not that mammoth fossils aren't cool, though! And I know what you mean about things happening for a reason. especially when it comes to money matters. It always seems when a few bucks are saved, something bad happens and I'm glad I still have the money. I hate days like that.