Found These In Penn Rock East Of Winfield Ks Any Idea What They Are?

Drizzt0000

found these cant find any pics online that look like them but the big on is in almost every hill ive hunted in the curled on is new in all the months ive searched never seen anything like it before can anyone enlighten me to what they are thanks!!!!!!

post-14278-0-23840100-1396484829_thumb.jpg

post-14278-0-65345700-1396484856_thumb.jpg

post-14278-0-33959800-1396484878_thumb.jpg

havent cleaned em yet except for brushing off the dirt hopiing they are something kewl than ill do the cleaning

• I found this Informative 1

They look like limb casts. A trace fossil created when a piece of wood (branch) is buried, the wood rots away leaving a void. Later other minerals or silt fill in the void leaving a cast of the original piece.

At least that's what they look like to me from the photos.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

What size are they? The last two look like some coral but without knowing a size it's hard to say for certain.

The curly one looks more like a burrow cast, but they could both be.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Burrow cast was my first thought as well.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely burrow casts. I like the one that has the tiny dark burrows in its surface, i.e. burrow in a burrow.

Context is critical.

the big straight one is about 6-8 inches long the curved one would be about the same if it were straight

yeah ok they are burrow casts just looked that up and found pics love the curved one might go back out soon hope i fine some more cool stuff ty all

I concur with the above opinions, and the curved one with smaller dark ones in it caught my eye also. I wouldn't think they would need any cleaning except to brush any dust off with a soft brush, unless you are sure there is definitely caked-on mud or something that will not come up with a soft brush, but it could be risky as detail can easily be washed away from soft matrix/casts.