Show Us Your Heteromorphs

bone digger

Scaphites whitfieldi from the Mancos Shale, one of the few heteromorphs we have around here.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

That is one heck of a nice scaphites!

Rick. Been wanting to meet you for quite some time now. Just didnt work out both times I was up your way. Someday maybe. Maybe I can get you out here to Montana? or Utah? Or wyoming?

And yeah bonedigger, I do remember, and Im sure thats the first time I was in the second stage of hypothermia!!! Took me hours to feel normal again after that day!!! And I havent talked to jay for quite some time either.

RB

Rick. Been wanting to meet you for quite some time now. Just didnt work out both times I was up your way. Someday maybe. Maybe I can get you out here to Montana? or Utah? Or wyoming?

And yeah bonedigger, I do remember, and Im sure thats the first time I was in the second stage of hypothermia!!! Took me hours to feel normal again after that day!!! And I havent talked to jay for quite some time either.

RB

I will have to make a tour of the fossil states one year!! I will probably start with Washington and the Olympic penninsula with its great crabs since it is closest. Then out to see that shed of yours :rolleyes: one dayhere is another small Eubostrychoceras from near Courtenay

Cephalopods rule!!

WOW!!!

Those are some of the best ammonites I've ever seen... I'm utterly sick with envy, but at the same time feel privileged to have seen them... Thanks for sharing, and well done all of you, you lucky buggers!!

All the best

Gethin :)

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

Oh Jeesh Rick! I just remembered. When I and my son were in Vancouver visiting jay, we were in his garage one night and I was checking everything out and asking all kinds of questions, and we came across this one rock that he said was 7 or 8 of those thingys and that he was going to prep it for a guy. Im purty sure that was your rock now. And the thing is, If i had known it was gunna turn out "THAT NICE"!!! I would have gotten jay drunk enough to pass out and then that rock could have been mine!! Dang!! Ha!!!

RB

Oh Jeesh Rick! I just remembered. When I and my son were in Vancouver visiting jay, we were in his garage one night and I was checking everything out and asking all kinds of questions, and we came across this one rock that he said was 7 or 8 of those thingys and that he was going to prep it for a guy. Im purty sure that was your rock now. And the thing is, If i had known it was gunna turn out "THAT NICE"!!! I would have gotten jay drunk enough to pass out and then that rock could have been mine!! Dang!! Ha!!!

RB

If I had been there and the whiskey bottle had made it to me enough times it might have been yours ;)

Cephalopods rule!!

wow fossisle those are really nice!

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Hey Rick, the Glyp that is roughly in the middle of your photo! Could it be complete and have a turret? It looks like it is getting smaller as it goes into the rock! Might want to get the airscribe out, maybe there is 2 complete ones.

Guest bmorefossil
Here is my only heteromorph. I got this one at Ste. Marie aux Mines, but I don't know anything about it. Is it a rare or desirable species?

post-42-1232398900_thumb.jpg

color makes it interesting

ok...i'll throw one in too, but don't give me extra points for the photography...

post-488-1232409667_thumb.jpg

p.s. - it's called "algae", and it's been there this long, so it's hanging around for laughs.

Here is my only heteromorph. I got this one at Ste. Marie aux Mines, but I don't know anything about it. Is it a rare or desirable species?

post-42-1232398900_thumb.jpg

Those french heteromorphs are very desirable and beautiful. Definitely worth keeping!!

Here is a small german Aegiocriceras

Cephalopods rule!!

Oh man, If we could get Skip on here, he would blow everybodys mind right out of the water with his heteromorphs!

Hi, friends.

I hope you enjoy this specimen as much I do. It is a specimen of Scaphites bituberculatus found in North of Spain some years ago. It comes from Cantabria county, I lovely county.

The material is Upper Cretaceous (Senon. - Turon. series).

Thanks!!!

Eureka

post-920-1232900984_thumb.jpg

post-920-1232901068_thumb.jpg

Dear friend,

I am not an experto on ammonites, but it is supposed that these kind of heteromorph ammonites were poor swimmers.

I just extraxt the next information from Wikipedia:

"The biology of the heteromorph ammonites is not clear, but one certainty is that their uncoiled shells would have made these forms very poor swimmers. Open shells, particularly ones with spines and ribs, create a lot of drag; but more importantly, the orientation of the shell, with the body hanging below the buoyant part of the shell, would have created a serious impediment to efficient swimming. It's more likely these ammonites either drifted in the plankton, collecting small animals on long tentacles like modern jellyfish, or else they crawled along the sea floor feeding on sessile or slow-moving animals such as clams".

Eureka

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancyloceratina

These heteromorphs were pretty weird , coiling took many forms. some may have hidden out in seaweed beds as ambush predators since they wouldn't have been very fast swimmers

here is another German form Hyphantoceras an open spiral

• I found this Informative 1

Cephalopods rule!!