mdegraff

Hi there! Found this piece this weekend and initial research makes me think this night be a dinosaur tooth but am looking for expertise... Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Pictures are a bit dark, I took the liberty of cropping and lightening the contrast a bit.

Regards,

post-2806-0-32249700-1396883129_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-59334700-1396883149_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-32554700-1396883161_thumb.jp

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Troodon and Taogan for your expertise. Any ideas what it could be if not Dino tooth? Given what appear to be striations and growth rings along outside w no apparent structure or rings shown on the inside on broken side, I suspected tooth first, but also wondered about horn antler or bone.. Could this be?

This is a very strange piece. Im thinking more invertebrate or even petrified wood. Im very interested to see if this gets ID or not.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

My first impression was a plant stem, something like Calamites, but I can't be sure.

Where was this found? If we could determine its age, we could maybe make some headway with an ID.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was hazarding a guess since her location is Wyoming that it was found locally. I also googled the fact that Wyoming is a major coal producer in the US. Put the two together and Calamites is probably a good guess.

---Prem

I think those coal beds are Paleocene-Eocene.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi all. This fossil was found a half an hour south of Pinedale, just south/west of the Wind River range.

I have no idea what this thing is, but if you ever get to Casper bring it by the Tate Museum and we will have a look in person, in the hand. The geology of an hour and half south of Pinedale... there's a lot of Eocene out there.

No Calamites in WY's coal deposits, which are indeed post Calamitic.

I have no idea what it is, but it is not a dino tooth nor a Calamites. All of Wyoming's coal is post-Calamites. If you ever get to Casper, bring it by the Tate Museum where I work and we'll give it a good look over and argue about what it is. These thiongs are mush easier to ID if you can see the actual specimen. The geology an hour and a half south of Pinedale is almost all Eocene. Is that an hour and a half on paved roads or county roads? South exactly or more SSE? or SSW?

I found the piece just about half an hour south of Pinedale, barely past the small town of Boulder, about a thousand yards from the main highway there. Found it on open ground, not very near to any smaller roads or two-tracks. So it sounds like the age of this area rules out calamites.. Some photos of Dino teeth look very similar to my eye, but I don't doubt that I could be missing some defining characteristics there.. Absolutely we could bring in this piece sometime, perhaps in the next month! Thanks for the mention!

Archived