Extreamly Rare!

RJB

I knowI will have to donate this someday, but for now I can still enjoy it. While busting up some concretions about 6 or 7 years ago looking for lobsters, I came across this rather flatish conc and gave it a whack! It broke into many pieces and fell to the ground. I was thinking about just walking away cause it looked like a piece of snarge fossil, but went down to my knees and pick up some pieces and starting puting it back together in my hands. I still thought it was a piece of snarge lobster but thought maybe someday I could sell it or trade it to a rock shop for something? Anyways, it sat in a box at home for many months. One day I finaly got to that box and found it again. I started gluing it back together and at the same time started to realize that this was quite different than any lobster I or anyone else had found!!! I took some photos of it and sent it to a guy who really knows his crabs and he went BAZERK!!! he asked if I would send the pics to another fellow and he also went BAZERK!!! Neither had seen anything like this from this formation, Pierre shales, cretaceous. Im sure someday I will be sending this to Torrey Nyborg, a guy who studies nothing but crustaceans and publishes new speceis papers. This is the first time I have ever posted this fossil. Well 2nd, I just posted it onto the UK forum as well. Enjoy

RB

post-171-1232327116_thumb.jpg

Holy cow! That is a very strange fossil! It looks like a giant isopod. Isopods include 'roly polies' and pill bugs.

Bobby

Wow that is totally bizarre!! It looks like it has tentacles at on end and a big flat tail like a beaver, weird

Torrey will be amazed

Cephalopods rule!!

Bobby purty much got it. Thats one of the things I was told, but also that it could very well be another thing that resembles an isopod. and yeah, some very 'feathery' stuff at one end? Very bazar. I wish I could sell it, but this is way too important to sell. Sucks to be such a super duper, most wonderful, good looking, sauve, hansome, debinaire, smart, inteligent, oops, going the wrong direction there,,, Ha!!! I mean, it sucks to find such good rare stuff knowing that it has to go to science so someone can study it, but hey, its the right thing to do. Just the way I am.

RB

What are those funky appendages on the front? Well, front is relative, the left side. That's my dream by the way, finding something completely new and unknown. A resounding congratulations are in order.

Fossil, it's like a rock, but better.

Ok, I have lots of bad luck like most folks, but when it comes to fossils and fossil hunting, it seems like the fossil gods will move the storms away, part the clouds and let the sun shine apon my shoulders!!! Its a 'Murphy' law that no one knows about?!!! Ha!!! Anyways, on the very same day I found that bazar isopod thingy, I also found this super rare shrimp thingy. Its not in the best of shape, but you can easily see the shape and especialy the eyeballs! Hows that for scientific terminology ole boesse buddy!!! Get a load of this baby.

RB

post-171-1232330369_thumb.jpg

post-171-1232330413_thumb.jpg

Wow. I feellike I'm in the company of giants here. There seem to be some serious fossil hunters on this forum. Nice work.

Awesome find! :D

Well 2nd, I just posted it onto the UK forum as well.

There's a UK Fossil Forum? :o:blink: Never seen it before!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Just a guess, but I'm thinking arthropods. First might be a species of Anomalocaris, and second might be a Phacops. Just an uneducated guess.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Hey Roz, more like eye stalks, like a crab.

John, the two guesses you made are about 200 millions years off. Try again?

Veomega, I would love to show you close up photos, but this fossil, along with most of my fossils are still boxed up from our last move. let me check my files and see if I have any closeups though. Cross your fingers.

Boogra. Id like to get a big head with your post, but the only giant thing about me is my belly!!!! Ha!!

RB

Ok, found one close up, but I dont think its quite what Veomega was asking for.

post-171-1232377616_thumb.jpg

Dang, that is some seriously weird sh*t. Good going ron!!! The great thing is, if you donate this really super rare stuff, odds are something will end up getting named "Blahblahblah bushelli" Trust me, if the fossil fur seal jaw at Sierra College had part of a skull associated, I'd be naming that new species after you (unfortunately, there's only enough new material to recognize a new species, but not name one yet).

Bobby

i would like something named after me. something distinct and extinct. that would be really cool. bobby, how much field research would i have to sponsor before i could get some weird little marine thingey named after me? by "sponsoring field research", i more or less mean buying the beer, of course...

<trying out the concept>

"microwhompus traceri"

"whorlosnarker tracesimmi"

"wudjecallus tracerans"

"jesticularis hahtraceri"

...yeah, it would be pretty cool...

Hahaha, good question; generally speaking, whatever someone collects and donates, if it ends up on display or in a scientific paper, the collector gets credit for it (unless the author is an ).

There are several ways a collector can get something named after him/her; first and foremost, if someone discovers the specimen that will serve as the 'type' specimen (basically a voucher for the new species), the species is often named after that person (unless of course the author collects the specimen; I can't think of anything more pompous than naming something after yourself in your own paper).

Additionally, a collector who has donated lots of material or given a lot of assistance to a paleontologist (i.e., our friend Ron here) can also have something named after him, even if they didn't collect the specimen.

Bobby

"given a lot of assistance to a paleontologist"

yeah, see that's the thought, because i could look around in texas for years and not find anything that all these youngsters with knee pads, headlamps, and energy drink backpacks haven't already found ten of.

maybe i could caddy for someone - carry their tools or something.

but you know, gary larson, that "far side" comical genius guy, got a species of louse or something named after him just for being funny, i think.

wonder how much "assistance to a paleontologist" would be needed to get a foram or something named after me... <practicing> "your tweezers, sir?", "mop that sweat off your brow, o paleontological poo-bah, sir?"

"sustaining beverage, sir? the guarana in it will counteract the ethanol - it'll be fine..."

Hahaha, good question; generally speaking, whatever someone collects and donates, if it ends up on display or in a scientific paper, the collector gets credit for it (unless the author is an ).

There are several ways a collector can get something named after him/her; first and foremost, if someone discovers the specimen that will serve as the 'type' specimen (basically a voucher for the new species), the species is often named after that person (unless of course the author collects the specimen; I can't think of anything more pompous than naming something after yourself in your own paper).

Additionally, a collector who has donated lots of material or given a lot of assistance to a paleontologist (i.e., our friend Ron here) can also have something named after him, even if they didn't collect the specimen.

Bobby

Well; that`s not my case!

Years ago, I found a Pliocene site (now is constructed, so dissapeared!), that was a paradise. Enourmous amounts of shells, all of them very stratified. I collected some, and in this group, there was a strange looking Clanculus (an Archeogasteropod with a tooth in the entrance of the shell). The original colour was still present (a beautifull red banded tone, with very little black dots on it).

I donated to the Regional Paleontological museum.

A year later, my ashtonishment appeared, when I saw in the six month publication, the knew Clanculus I found! The curator name it after his father! :angry:

And in the description, he said it was found in the place I sayed, so is not a coincidence!

So again I went to the museum, and I explain that was "my" discovery.He argued that he found another two specimens two weeks before mine was guiven to him! <_<