Unidentified Crinoid

Crinoid Queen

The second photo is an Actinocrinus, a very beautiful crown,

and if I was to guess believe it is A. multiradiatus.

I know what the first photo is but the name escapes me right now.

What formation are these from in the lower Mississippian Period?

Actinocrinites Miller, 1821 is now the accepted genus

The second photo is an Actinocrinus, a very beautiful crown,

and if I was to guess believe it is A. multiradiatus.

I know what the first photo is but the name escapes me right now.

What formation are these from in the lower Mississippian Period?

yes they are from the mississipian bed from Crawfordsville IN

yes they are from the mississipian bed from Crawfordsville IN

The only two of that genus we can find here according to my list is gibsoni and magnificus. I have looked at pics of both of them and amdont think it matches either it has a strange extension from the calix b4 the arms start. The arms are bunched neither of those two display that the calixs match but that detail is off?????

thanx

The only two of that genus we can find here according to my list is gibsoni and magnificus. I have looked at pics of both of them and amdont think it matches either it has a strange extension from the calix b4 the arms start. The arms are bunched neither of those two display that the calixs match but that detail is off?????

thanx

The first Pic i believe is a Histocrinus coreyi, they are common at crawfordsville

calyx ornamentation varies a lot from specimen to specimen, even in specimens found grouped together.

many times its tough to determine the species if you do not know the formation they come from.

The first Pic i believe is a Histocrinus coreyi, they are common at crawfordsville

calyx ornamentation varies a lot from specimen to specimen, even in specimens found grouped together.

many times its tough to determine the species if you do not know the formation they come from.

they r missisipian formation

Guest solius symbiosus

^^That is the period in which the rocks were deposited. He was referring to the rock formation, or better yet, the member. See this strat column for the Miss of Indiana.

post-179-1232397505_thumb.jpg

^^That is the period in which the rocks were deposited. He was referring to the rock formation, or better yet, the member. See this strat column for the Miss of Indiana.

post-179-1232397505_thumb.jpg

No way of knowing that unfortunatly they r not excavated from a dig they r just found loose in the creek. Know idea what layer if strata they r from sry.

Hi CQ

The proper genus name is Actinocrinites Miller, 1821, after looking at Wachsmuth and Springer, 1897, believe it is properly refered to Actinocrinites magnificus (Wachsmuth and Springer, 1897)

There is a great deal of liturature on the crawfordsville crinoids you can look up,

Most of the crinoids are from the Edwardsville Fm. , Borden Group

The calyx and arm stucture you described, "strange extension from the calix b4 the arms start" are diagnostic characters of Actinocrinites Miller, 1821

Ok heres another one i think i have made an ID. It is a scytalocrinus robustus? what do you all think?

Thanx,

Debbie

post-1179-1232643525_thumb.jpg