Our Finds Nsr Trip Today.

barefootgirl

When mom gets her income tax money in at the end of the month she promised she would buy us a camera. We have a regular 35 mm but it big and old and you cant hook it up to the computer. I cant wait to post pictures of all our finds. Our house looks like a cave threw up in here we have so many rocks and fossils. :D

I'm an accountant so I must take a minute to say...

If you're getting refund, it's b/c you like to lend the government money at no interest all year. Reduce your withholdings.

Regarding camera's you may not need a lot of megapixels. Check out THIS ARTICLE. I would definitely go down a megapixel or 2 if the savings were significant or to go with one of the better brands (that have already been mentioned in this post.

Ok, back to fossil related discussion. I can't wait to see pictures too. Congrats on your finds.

I'm an accountant so I must take a minute to say...

If you're getting refund, it's b/c you like to lend the government money at no interest all year. Reduce your withholdings.

Regarding camera's you may not need a lot of megapixels. Check out THIS ARTICLE. I would definitely go down a megapixel or 2 if the savings were significant or to go with one of the better brands (that have already been mentioned in this post.

Ok, back to fossil related discussion. I can't wait to see pictures too. Congrats on your finds.

Actually I foster my twin sister who is mentally retarded and therefor have to pay self employment taxes every year. If it weren't for my earned income credit, which the govt takes half of i would actually end up owing money every year. But back to fossiling or camera buying. I found a kodak easy share with 10.1 mp camera for $ 134 it comes with everything. I think I'll get it. Thanks for the article it helped.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I tend towards the Olympus ultra zooms (10x optical zoom or more). I use a C-750 as my field camera (4 megapixels). It takes great pictures. I also use a SP-500UZ (10x optical, 6 MP) and have recently used the SP-560UZ (18x optical, 8 MP). All have macro and super macro features for close ups. If you want the most bang for the buck, look for a used Kodak Z710 or Z712. I bought those for my kids and they take great pictures also. Olympus refurbs can be found on eBay. Most of the major camera brands have good cameras. It just depends on what you want and how much want to spend and for some, what brand you prefer.

tracer was on the money with the battery thing. I always look for a camera which uses AA or AA NiMh rechargeables.

If you want real closeups, you need to look for the macro function.

... Our house looks like a cave threw up in here we have so many rocks and fossils. :D

:rofl: That's priceless!

Regarding the amber, can you describe some of it's characteristics, or should I wait for the photo? :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

:rofl: That's priceless!

Regarding the amber, can you describe some of it's characteristics, or should I wait for the photo? :)

It might not be amber but here is a description. Its just shy of 3 inches long and 2 inches wide. The width is of it is 1/2 inch. The color is what caught my attention. It is a pale yellow I would call it lemon chiffon for you guys that would be pee colored. Its dull when dry but pretty when wet. I can shine a light thru it although it does have a milky quality to it. One side has some side of formation patterned over it and when I hold it up to the light the yellow shows through the part without the formation and it looks like leopard print. The other side is smooth. I can see something inside just under the surface it looks like bubbles cant be sure though. In all my days of picking up and collecting rocks I have not ever come across a rock this color. I have seen crystal this color but this is not crystal. hope this helped Im getting close to picking out a camera.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Also sounds like some calcedony that forms in cracks between large pieces of fossil wood that are still in the ground.

MikeD and I have some nice examples from College Station a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find one and post it. Otherwise Mike may need to dig his stuff out.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

It possibly could be. I have some beautiful carnelian specimens about the same size. It has the waxy look to it like my carnelian chalcedony. I did just look up yellow chalcedony picts and I have to admit it has the same color. Most of what I see though is jewelry so its been worked. Whatever it is its pretty, and momma likes pretty. :D

Alfred North Whithead

I can't wait to see pics of your finds. The pieces of amber that I have found at the NSR are a very dark orange-ish brown color, and light weight, not like a stone.