Our Finds Nsr Trip Today.

barefootgirl

Hi, I'm little foot, bare foots daughter. I found the smallest shark tooth ever! It is half the size of a grain of rice it is in perfect condition and in a small rock. We also found about 30 more teeth of various sizes. Mom found a big giant tooth that is cone shaped about 4 inches long. She also found some small petrified bones and what she thinks might be amber. We had an awesome time, my favorite thing is the big sulphur geods that I found and broke open they were real pretty yellow in the middle and some were red. Mom hauled out alot and is now in bed with a headache and hurting. She said next time were taking a pack mule. Tomorrow is a holiday and I want to go back since I don't have school.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest bmorefossil
Hi, I'm little foot, bare foots daughter. I found the smallest shark tooth ever! It is half the size of a grain of rice it is in perfect condition and in a small rock. We also found about 30 more teeth of various sizes. Mom found a big giant tooth that is cone shaped about 4 inches long. She also found some small petrified bones and what she thinks might be amber. We had an awesome time, my favorite thing is the big sulphur geods that I found and broke open they were real pretty yellow in the middle and some were red. Mom hauled out alot and is now in bed with a headache and hurting. She said next time were taking a pack mule. Tomorrow is a holiday and I want to go back since I don't have school.

wow cant wait for the pictures of the little tiny tooth and the big giant tooth!!!!

When mom gets her income tax money in at the end of the month she promised she would buy us a camera. We have a regular 35 mm but it big and old and you cant hook it up to the computer. I cant wait to post pictures of all our finds. Our house looks like a cave threw up in here we have so many rocks and fossils. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

i need to see a picture of that big tooth you mentioned. by the way, your "geodes" from there are likely septarian nodules, with yellow center of calcite crystals and a lreddish brown layer of aragonite inside the gray outer mudstone. the north sulphur is very cool, isn't it?

i need to see a picture of that big tooth you mentioned. by the way, your "geodes" from there are likely septarian nodules, with yellow center of calcite crystals and a lreddish brown layer of aragonite inside the gray outer mudstone. the north sulphur is very cool, isn't it?

Sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to get up there to the NSR. If either of you has a cell phone with a camera, you could take a pic. and e-mail it to youself and the then post it on the site. Anyway sounds like you have that fossil fever

:) Thank you guys. My daughter is the one who posted last night. We went ahead and went on down to the Paris bridge and walked all the way down till it was solid river then made our way back to the bridge. Little foot is convinced that she has found the smallest tooth in the world. I have no idea how she found it, its so small. The rock its in isn't even as big as a pea and the tooth is centered right in the middle and we actually measured it up against a grain of rice and its half its size. She couldn't wait to get home and tell you guys. The big tooth I found is actually about 3inches long but still neat if it really is a tooth. I do really need everyones help on this one. I met a guy down there who told me it was, but then he pulled something out of his bag that looked alot like horned coral and told me it was a tooth. I could be wrong I am new to this. There was one gravel bar where we got on our knees and picked up one tooth after another. I counted 35 teeth this morning and most of them are super tiny. One we found actually poking my daughter in her knee and the other one was stuck in her sock. I found it when I had to pull a briar out of her foot. I also found some really neat Halopea specimens that were really sweet. I also found what looked like a crinoid of some kind in a very very large rock I turned over( it actually looked like a crawdad at first). I was afraid to try and break it out so I left it there. I ended up having to leave alot down there, i just didn't have enough pack space. Im thinking about using my dog next time to help me cart stuff out. She is big and with a couple of saddle bags on could carry out alot. Anyway thanks guys for being kind to my kid like I said she couldn't wait to get home and tell you guys about the worlds smallest tooth. ;)

Alfred North Whithead

This is just a great post! We're all anticipating the pics from the new camera :)

Also, I hope you got your amber!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When mom gets her income tax money in at the end of the month she promised she would buy us a camera. We have a regular 35 mm but it big and old and you cant hook it up to the computer. I cant wait to post pictures of all our finds. Our house looks like a cave threw up in here we have so many rocks and fossils. :D

You can make quite adequate images using your scanner. Scan to "Image File"; Crop to just the fossils; Save in JPEG format wherever you save images on your computer.

Once saved in JPEG format, you can post them directly to the forum; or, you can edit them (brightness & contrast usually) using your image editing software.

Be careful not to scratch the platen on the scanner -- don't push the fossils around on the glass and remove any sand grains after the scan.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Wow! sounds like you did really good! I can't wait for the pics too. Could that large tooth be mosasaur?

I think I did find some amber. If its not it's still pretty. We live in the techno stone age. I don't have a cell b/c I like being out of reach. I had a scanner and my ex stole it. My camera is about 15 years old but still a good standard 35 mm. I just got a computer about 6 months ago. I'm breaking down and buying a camera though soon. In fact im talking to my dad now and he told me if I can find a camera at Wall-Mart to go ahead and buy it and he will pay for it. ( I love being a Daddy's girl) so If anyone can tell me what to look for in a camera. Do I want to concentrate on mega pixels? How many mega pixels. I don't want to spend over $150 if i can help it. Any help would be appreciated.

Alfred North Whithead

I think I did find some amber. If its not it's still pretty. We live in the techno stone age. I don't have a cell b/c I like being out of reach. I had a scanner and my ex stole it. My camera is about 15 years old but still a good standard 35 mm. I just got a computer about 6 months ago. I'm breaking down and buying a camera though soon. In fact im talking to my dad now and he told me if I can find a camera at Wall-Mart to go ahead and buy it and he will pay for it. ( I love being a Daddy's girl) so If anyone can tell me what to look for in a camera. Do I want to concentrate on mega pixels? How many mega pixels. I don't want to spend over $150 if i can help it. Any help would be appreciated.

I like the Sony cybershot. I think a 7 megapixel camera can be had for that price. I have an 8.1. I just bought because my old one died. Good pic. lots of options. Including image size, wich is important for posting your photos. Walmart has some great prices you should'nt have a problem finding a good camera for $150.

I like the Sony cybershot. I think a 7 megapixel camera can be had for that price. I have an 8.1. I just bought because my old one died. Good pic. lots of options. Including image size, wich is important for posting your photos. Walmart has some great prices you should'nt have a problem finding a good camera for $150.

Thank you so much! I know they have some 8 mega pixels on sale for about $130.

Alfred North Whithead

all megapixels are not created equal. some cameras' sensors are better than others, some lenses are better than others. the amount of optical zoom matters. but a big deal is whether it used a proprietary rechargeable battery or takes double As. another big deal is what kind of memory stick/card it uses. proprietary batteries are expensive, and if you only have one, and it dies in the field, that's it. cameras never come with an adequate amount of memory. so when you buy the size you want, some memory sticks/cards are considerably more expensive than others.

all megapixels are not created equal. some cameras' sensors are better than others, some lenses are better than others. the amount of optical zoom matters. but a big deal is whether it used a proprietary rechargeable battery or takes double As. another big deal is what kind of memory stick/card it uses. proprietary batteries are expensive, and if you only have one, and it dies in the field, that's it. cameras never come with an adequate amount of memory. so when you buy the size you want, some memory sticks/cards are considerably more expensive than others.

OKAY! So is there a brand of camera that is usually always a good brand and dependable. Im looking at an Olympus and a Sony or is there a better brand out there.

Alfred North Whithead

Yes - I have an Olympus and it takes great pictures and has a macro setting that allows me to get within 1" of the object.

HOWEVER - you have a 35mm. . . . don't wait. take pictures with your 35MM and take the film to any film developer (Walmart, CVS drug etc) and they can put them on a CD for you as well as give you the negatives. You can then use the CD to download to your computer. Also - if you have the scanner you can scan the actual paper photos or the negatives. . . and then upload to your computer.

Roger

OKAY! So is there a brand of camera that is usually always a good brand and dependable. Im looking at an Olympus and a Sony or is there a better brand out there.

I have an Olympus digital SLR and LOVE it!

i have trended toward using sony and canon, but i research online the specific models i'm looking at when i buy, to see how well they're working for people. i've used consumer reports and other rating entities' reviews and ratings over the years to keep from accidently buying something with a spotty track record.

i think everybody's dying to see your 3" tooth. you need to at least go online and use google to search images for "mosasaur tooth", and "xiphactinus tooth" and "enchodus tooth" and see if it matches any of those and tell us. 3 inches from nsr is a big tooth and you've punched our curiosity buttons...

The December issue of Consumers Reports (available on-line, I think, or at your local library) rates digital cameras. Of all the current models, the Canon PowerShot line is "recommended" or a "CR Best Buy" in all categories.

I cannot give a personal recommendation, 'cause I use an Olympus.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest solius symbiosus

I've had three different Nikon Cool Pix cameras, and all were great. I can't speak for Olympus cameras, but I have owned some of their binoculars and they were snarge... off axis astigmatism at <50%, leaked grease, every time they were moved they had to be refocused,... ect.

I have a 4meg pixel Kodak EasyShare C433 camera. It was cheap and can focus at as little as about 10cm. All the pictures I have put on here were taken with it, though a lot were taken through a microscope.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

i have trended toward using sony and canon, but i research online the specific models i'm looking at when i buy, to see how well they're working for people. i've used consumer reports and other rating entities' reviews and ratings over the years to keep from accidently buying something with a spotty track record.

i think everybody's dying to see your 3" tooth. you need to at least go online and use google to search images for "mosasaur tooth", and "xiphactinus tooth" and "enchodus tooth" and see if it matches any of those and tell us. 3 inches from nsr is a big tooth and you've punched our curiosity buttons...

[/quote

Definitely a Mosasaur tooth.

Alfred North Whithead

nice finds from what i hear! for fossil hunting, i recommend an olympus, there is one that is waterproof, just in case it slips! i myself, have a canon SLR but i find it too bulky to carry around so i usually use it at home. i would do some research there are many sites that can help you find what is right for you. it will give you an idea of what you need. www.bhphotovideo.com has many search features to narrow it down. im not saying you should buy from this site, i just think has a good search tool.

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White