What In The World Is This Thing?

Tennessees Pride

Had a rather eventful day yesterday, this is one of the items recovered. Late Cretaceous. @ first i thought this was some type of wood...though i've never seen any wood like this....i left it @ that and kept hunting. That wasn't the only unusual thing i noticed about this material....it is extremely heavy for it's size. So i was thinking lots of marcasite replacement in wood......ended up coming out w/ a little over a hundred pounds of material, was so exausted i didn't get to this till this morning over a cup of coffee. Put it on the scales, it weighs 3 pounds and 4 oz.!!! And after a small cleaning, this is what i see....i'm not seeing marcasite in it anywhere! It's super dense and not that fragile. Never seen anything like it! My best guess is it's some type of bony-plate, perhaps from a land-walker....i don't know.....maybe it's wood i've just never heard of, but i can't ge t over how dense and heavy it is.....when i find bones,they're normally dense and heavy just like that.....is this some type of large osteoderm (bony-plated scale)????

post-14571-0-03715200-1397223566_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-32546900-1397223691_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

No mam, none of that close by....

--- Joshua

My guess would be wood also. The texture/nods are very consistent all the way through. And i don't see a spongy or bone like material any where. It's a very interesting piece.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

The reason I asked if carboniferous is because it reminds me of some internal layers of carboniferous plant fossils I've found. The outmost layer (which is easiest to identify) was not preserved and the internal structures look very different. I am not saying this definitely is wood as I'm no expert, but if so this at possibly explained why it appears different than other wood you've found? :)

Charlie, if this stuff turns out to be wood, thats gonna be the strangest wood i've ever seen....but i sure wouldn't doubt it. I've noticed this thread has already gotten over 70 views, so it seems this might be a hard one.

--- Joshua

The reason I asked if carboniferous is because it reminds me of some internal layers of carboniferous plant fossils I've found. The outmost layer (which is easiest to identify) was not preserved and the internal structures look very different. I am not saying this definitely is wood as I'm no expert, but if so this at possibly explained why it appears different than other wood you've found? :)

Lissa, i sware you have read my mind, i was just about to PM you and ask exactly what you just told me! Had been debating on doing it since you asked about Carboniferous.....was wondering what idea made ya ask that. :) YES, absolutely! The layer this came out of could contain reworked fossils!.....there's nothing but carnage all in it! Lots of burnt lignite too! Please tell me what you think it might be and i'll start researching this second! I'm completely unknowledgable when it comes to Carboniferous....but that sure won't be the first time strange botanics have been recovered!!!!

--- Joshua

Lissa, i sware you have read my mind, i was just about to PM you and ask exactly what you just told me! Had been debating on doing it since you asked about Carboniferous.....was wondering what idea made ya ask that. :) YES, absolutely! The layer this came out of could contain reworked fossils!.....there's nothing but carnage all in it! Lots of burnt lignite too! Please tell me what you think it might be and i'll start researching this second! I'm completely unknowledgable when it comes to Carboniferous....but that sure won't be the first time strange botanics have been recovered!!!!

If you don't have any Carboniferous areas near you then it being carboniferous is not likely. What I was thinking is if you often find wood and this bares no resemblance to what you find, it may be an internal layer you are looking at. :)

Lissa, something strange happened, after i posted that to you, i was waiting for a reply, and a different thread popped up on this thread....i dont know, maybe something got crossed up,the thread disappeared after a sec, if you commented this, i can't see it still....gonna log out and back in and see if that fixes it....

--- Joshua

:popcorn: Cool!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Ok, can see the post now...& i understand what you're saying now also, but no mam, i've intensely studied the lignites of my area, and never have i seen anything that even remotely resembles this stuff. I would like to correct one presumption though, i think it does have an infusion of marcasite that's making it weigh heavy....have went and plastic wrapped it to keep it preserved until i can preserve better.

--- Joshua

:popcorn: Cool!

Hey Herb! It is pretty cool!, wished i knew what it was though!....I came out fat, found a couple shark teeth, some strange lignitic botanicals...maybe 1 fruit or something. Also wood replaced to i'm guessing hemitite...."iron wood"....1 new unidentified mineral, and a big-0 bone!....plus other stuff i just can't even remember what all.....many many pounds worth of material. Haven't been able to start unwrapping stuff yet...

--- Joshua

A large bone frag...probably unidentifiable. This bone wasn't in association w/ the specimen that started the thread.

post-14571-0-04282100-1397240706_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-72812400-1397240778_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Another view, i call these frags "cry babys" :D.....it would've been a beast if it had of been complete. Am still very happy to get it though...

post-14571-0-58844400-1397241323_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Man, Joshua your finds have some awesome colors to them!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

just a side thought... but keep having a look at any cretaceous lignite, you never know if you could find some cretaceous amber, that's how it's found in new jersey...

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

You have a knack for finding odd things..

I'd be curious to see what a cross section of it would look like, if you could get a slice of it on a rock saw.

Man, Joshua your finds have some awesome colors to them!

They do don't they Charlie, guess i'm just blessed w/ being in the area i'm in. :)

--- Joshua

just a side thought... but keep having a look at any cretaceous lignite, you never know if you could find some cretaceous amber, that's how it's found in new jersey...

Hey NZ_Fossil_Collecta, yes sir, i have sure read the same. You can also find it in clay too, like a mother load site down in Alabama, not too far south of me. I posted a thread about amber specimens i'd recovered, it's a couple days old now.

--- Joshua

Your bone fragment has a slight resemblance to fossilized cartilage.

Yes sir, i can see that resemblance you're talking about, in that place where the original outside surface is still remaining. Man, if it were a piece of cartilage, it would be a real winner then!

--- Joshua

Looks like one of the burgers that they served in the school cafeteria.

Context is critical.

You have a knack for finding odd things...

Yes. Could you find some native platinum or a lunar meteorite? I have some fossils to trade. :)

Context is critical.

You have a knack for finding odd things..

I'd be curious to see what a cross section of it would look like, if you could get a slice of it on a rock saw.

Man, i musta been more tired than what i thought,cause as i's commenting on this thread, fell asleep with the phone in my hand!....just work up!!! That was a hard hunt, guess it caught up w/ me. :D Wrangellian, thank you sir, that's what momma always said too! I would be interested in seeing the same w/ a rock saw.....we might have to do a small cut on that eventually if i can't i.d. it.

--- Joshua

Archived