What In The World Is This Thing?

Tennessees Pride

Looks like one of the burgers that they served in the school cafeteria.

Awhahaha!!!.......reminds me of a burnt omlet! Or a grilled- cheese story in the microwave that went terribly wrong.... :D

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Cretaceous Lignite bud.

:) I've heard lots of stories of what was around "back in the day"......

--- Joshua

Yes. Could you find some native platinum or a lunar meteorite? I have some fossils to trade. :)

Hahaa, Missourian, i am trying for some better stuff....don't know if it'll ever happen...but i'm trying sir.

--- Joshua

That looks very much like the material i find in some places....the brown kind....it typically comes out of sandy layers here. And also one will find yellow sulfer stains, ect. On that stuff in some layers down here too. That brown material preserves so much better than the black lignite. I brought out a section of lignite the other day cause i thought it was a specimen good enough i might be able to i.d. it....will post a pic in a sec....but i haven't cleaned it much of anything....normally i don't save lignite...it's real hard to preserve down here anyways....

--- Joshua

lordpiney, the photo didn't turn out near as good as yours, i'd just have to wait till daytime to do any better. But, there is the black material in some layers, and like i say sir, i've ran into the brown material in some layers. Even according to the late prof. Berry, the paleo-botanicals of our areas agree in many ways.

post-14571-0-06641000-1397282228_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

This stuff right here is very cool...it used to be lignite, then @ some later date, an iron bearing solution secreted into the layer and replaced the lignite into iron! Iron wood!!! Lots of examples i have completely replaced through and through!

post-14571-0-80207800-1397282824_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Man, i musta been more tired than what i thought,cause as i's commenting on this thread, fell asleep with the phone in my hand!....just work up!!! That was a hard hunt, guess it caught up w/ me. :D Wrangellian, thank you sir, that's what momma always said too! I would be interested in seeing the same w/ a rock saw.....we might have to do a small cut on that eventually if i can't i.d. it.

I'll be watching.

It does look like pet wood but I wouldn't think the dark, coal-type chunks would be that heavy. I do have a couple chunks of very heavy pet wood but they're not so black, but I can't say what they're made of or even where they're from! (dang old rockhounds who gave me stuff and I didn't hear/remember where they got them!)

I'll be watching.

It does look like pet wood but I wouldn't think the dark, coal-type chunks would be that heavy. I do have a couple chunks of very heavy pet wood but they're not so black, but I can't say what they're made of or even where they're from! (dang old rockhounds who gave me stuff and I didn't hear/remember where they got them!)

Sir, i'll say this,& it's one heck of a long-shot, but if that material is bark, it has an uncanny resemblance to the bark of Wollemia.Nobilis. I was holding that to myself, but since this thread has already got 461 views and nothing has been suggested any better, guess i'll put it out there. Man, whatever it is, it must be some really good stuff for no one to really know! :)

--- Joshua

Yes. Could you find some native platinum or a lunar meteorite? I have some fossils to trade. :)

Hey Missourian, will this do?...........naw, i can't say i found this, my Dad did while metal detecting the side of a bluff down in Purvis,Mississippi. But it is a lovely meteorite....the largest in my collection currently. After finding it, he cleaned one side, the other side stil has some real good fusion-crust. Looks like to me it might be an iron & nickel specimen...

post-14571-0-26131900-1397339895_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-57527900-1397339975_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Sir, i'll say this,& it's one heck of a long-shot, but if that material is bark, it has an uncanny resemblance to the bark of Wollemia.Nobilis. I was holding that to myself, but since this thread has already got 461 views and nothing has been suggested any better, guess i'll put it out there. Man, whatever it is, it must be some really good stuff for no one to really know! :)

Some things are hard to identify without having them in your hand, and maybe taking a lens to them, etc. It has all the look of cracked coal, but the weight you describe is wrong for that. I can't figure it out.

Yes sir Wrangellian, me either. It's a tough one.

--- Joshua

Awhahaha!!!.......reminds me of a burnt omlet! Or a grilled- cheese story in the microwave that went terribly wrong.... :D

sorta reminds me of when you come out in the morning and the campfire's out and one of the lumps of wood hasn't quite burnt up.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

sorta reminds me of when you come out in the morning and the campfire's out and one of the lumps of wood hasn't quite burnt up.

Awhaha....a "Yule Log" from eons past...

--- Joshua

One pre-eminent paleo-botanist got back w/ me today, he says that judging by the pictures, he's never saw anything like the specimen that started this thread, and he doesn't think it to be botanical @ all! Hahaa....wonderful news!!!! Also beside the specimen i had recovered a round object about the size of an orange, that come to find out is a bone!

--- Joshua

Hey MarqusandDad, sir i've reviewed photos of Sea Squirts and just haven't been able to match this specimen w/ that material type.

--- Joshua

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where we're @ w/ this strange specimen...as i've said, one Paleobotanist has said he's never seen a botanical that looks like this and he doesn't think it to be a botanic (according to the photos), i've sent this to several Paleontologists....they don't seem to know either!....& this thread has already got 810 views, and seems it not get get i.d.'d here either....

What I'm about to say is crazy, but all i can figure is ......dinosaur skin!.....if it is, man, this is one stunning example! And will be thicker(by a hairs breath) than the thickest ever found. It has the polygonal shapes so characteristic of dino skin=tubercles, it has mineralized material in between the layers of polygonal coalified matter(which i take to be replaced collagen?), and there's a single place on it where a tiny little spike is protruding from one of those polygonal scales......this is very strange material!.....and i still haven't been able to find any professional to to me anything about it!

--- Joshua

I am going to go with the remains of an "algal mat", or a biofilm, similar to a stromatolite.

fkaa

ashcraft, brent allen

.........dinosaur skin!.....

Well...

Speculation is, I know, part of the process, but this is a pretty big leap.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'd go with very thoroughly teredo burrowed wood, not much wood left just burrows and the entire mass limonitized to explain the weight, just another guess of course!

Well...

Speculation is, I know, part of the process, but this is a pretty big leap.

Awhahaha....:D.....i hear you Auspex! You had it right sir, just pure speculation for now....was just my best guess. That's like.....over the moon speculation....i hope it does go over the moon... :)

--- Joshua

Hey there ashcraft & Plax, later this evening i'll post some more and better pics, surely i'll get a chance before dark.

--- Joshua

Here is several views of that white mineralized material that reminds me of replaced callagen...

post-14571-0-88564600-1398383154_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-98980900-1398383263_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Archived