What In The World Is This Thing?

Tennessees Pride

I guess there's only so much one can tell from photos alone... You still haven't sliced any I guess?

Oh no sir, i'm afraid to do anything to it till somebody can tell me what it is, on the bright side, i'm right now preparing for a roadtrip.....gonna go to where ever i have to go...no matter....and i'm gonna keep putting this thing in the hands of people till somebody finally conclusively i.d.'s this material....if i must do a small cut then, then i guess that will be what happens....but i just can't take it any longer,transfering all of my good stuff to a safe location and gonna leave out, i've got to know.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

That's understandable... then I guess we'll have to wait to see what you find out.

That's understandable... then I guess we'll have to wait to see what you find out.

Yes sir, this day marks 1 month to the day that the material was first posted, and has got alittle short of 2,000 views, besides all of the experts i've so far contacted....it really seems like the only way....i will update as the specimen passes from hand to hand.

--- Joshua

1,848 views in less than a month, and still no conclusive I.D.! Nothing even remotely similar posted to compare it against or anything! What's going on with this material?!?!?!

actually I'm convinced it's thoroughly teredo ridden wood! :) Still wouldn't hurt to have expert confirmation

actually I'm convinced it's thoroughly teredo ridden wood! :) Still wouldn't hurt to have expert confirmation

Hey Plax, good morning to you! :) I wished you could hold this specimen,you might perhaps change your mind then sir, it's weird stuff.

--- Joshua

And a good morning to you TP! I'm bad for not posting pics of what I have at my place that is similar. A possible problem with experts is that they'll see what they are expert in. I really thing that if you can find a malacologist specializing in teredos they will see this as teredo borings. Someone strictly expert in plants may not come to the same conclusion.

And a good morning to you TP! I'm bad for not posting pics of what I have at my place that is similar. A possible problem with experts is that they'll see what they are expert in. I really thing that if you can find a malacologist specializing in teredos they will see this as teredo borings. Someone strictly expert in plants may not come to the same conclusion.

Sir, that is a most excellent idea you have there! I'm gonna look one up today and shoot them an email. If Teredos, i bet they will be able to tell me all about it. Thanks for that. :)

--- Joshua

post-1757-0-11200200-1400086008_thumb.jpgpost-1757-0-96193000-1400086015_thumb.jpgpost-1757-0-36877200-1400086027_thumb.jpgpost-1757-0-64164800-1400086034_thumb.jpg

small Teredo clam starts out boring water logged wood, next view shows terminal part of burrow inhabited by clam, in the case of a log or large stick the teredo follows the wood longitudinally, end of log shows broken off clam burrows and that most of wood has been removed in burrowing process

Scale is half inches. Wood is from the Hornerstown/Vincentown transition in Camden County NJ

Thank you for posting those images here sir, i'm still waiting to hear something from a expert in Teredos, i'll post as soon as i get word.

--- Joshua

• 10 months later...

Archived