Ammonite Found On Mars By Msl In Sol551

open768

Hello, there is an intriguing spiral structure seen Mars Curiosity rover - it looks like an ammonite.

post-14970-0-33400400-1397315731_thumb.jpg

original image:http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00551/mcam/0551MR2233051000E1_DXXX.jpg

0551MR2233051000E1_DXXX.jpg

could this be what it seems?

for more information please see also: http://www.mars-tourist-guide.co.uk/curiosity/detail.html?s=551&i=MAST_RIGHT&p=0551MR2233051000E1_DXXX

It does show, roughly, some of the gross features we see on ammonites.

I eagerly await the discovery of extra-terrestrial life, but it will take more than a suggestive shape in a photograph.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It does seem to be contrasted from the rest of the background actually, increasing the chance that it might be a fossil of something, or at least a xenolith. There are four possibilities:

1. The object is a piece of rock stuck on another rock.

2. The object is a fossil organism which happened to resemble an ammonite through convergent evolution.

3. The picture was not actually taken by Curiosity, and either the OP or someone else staged this picture in a desert or another Mars-like environment.

4. The whole Curiosity project is a hoax by NASA, and this picture is a dead giveaway.

In all seriousness, I think Mars could have supported life. I think we have already found evidence that life could have existed on Mars. With what we know about meteorites from Mars reaching Earth, it is very likely that if life existed on one planet it could have spread to the other via impact debris. (An amazingly unlikely event becomes a likely event in deep time ) So I think eventually we will find a fossil of some sort on Mars. It may just be a chemical signal of past life, or a microfossil, or this could be it. But I also think we will find false alarms at a rate of about 10000 to 1, so I remain skeptical for now.

I'm still amazed we can get such sharp pictures back from a planet millions of miles away!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'm still amazed we can get such sharp pictures back from a planet millions of miles away!

But we can't get clear pictures from 6 inches away in the ID section! :o

It does show, roughly, some of the gross features we see on ammonites.

I eagerly await the discovery of extra-terrestrial life, but it will take more than a suggestive shape in a photograph.

well said Auspex

lets not be too eager to accept or deny, that is all too convenient, a long sound look at all aspects is required

:rofl:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

bahahahaha, that is funny. I was thinking that we can't get a clear picture or video of sasquatch or loch ness but super sharp pics from mars.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

This just in: LINK

After reading it, I am struck by the implication that the Martian climate might not have been stable enough to be conducive to the evolution of complex life; such takes time.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

<Mrs. Krabappel> HA! </Mrs. Krabappel>

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The powdery stuff everywhere looks a lot like ground cinnamon. Astronauts would have to wear space suits just to prevent the cinnamon challenge....

Context is critical.

Thanks for the feedback - good to see such a difference of opinions. Now who can influence NASA to take a closer look? or are they doing so allready?

I'm sure they're looking closely. Imagine who would want to be a NASA scientist. Imagine why they are there. Now I can't imagine they would ignore a clue to life. Unless it falls into the "too good to be true" category.

Thanks for the feedback - good to see such a difference of opinions. Now who can influence NASA to take a closer look? or are they doing so allready?

It is why they are there, and it cannot have escaped their notice.

Pretty sure it would make the news if they thought they had something.

It is why they are there, and it cannot have escaped their notice.

Pretty sure it would make the news if they thought they had something.

If they really -- and I mean really -- found something, I'd think they'd totally embargo the images until they decided how to proceed with an announcement.

Context is critical.

The more I look at that picture the less it looks like an ammonite. To me it looks more squarish than circlular.

bahahahaha, that is funny. I was thinking that we can't get a clear picture or video of sasquatch or loch ness but super sharp pics from mars.

WE did pay for the best in camera equipment ;)

Could be a reeeaaallly long telephoto lens.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived