Peace River- First Time Hunters Need Help Iding

LoriB

Found in the Peace River, Arcadia Florida. This was our first hunt, now the whole family is addicted. We found hundreds of easy to ID shark teeth, but struggling with these two items. Any help would be very much appreciated. I teach 6th grade science, would love to be able to tell my students what these are.

Thank you!

post-14980-0-92972900-1397364551_thumb.jpg

post-14980-0-53751300-1397364736_thumb.jpg

post-14980-0-94162200-1397364774_thumb.jpg

post-14980-0-81131600-1397364792_thumb.jpg

post-14980-0-02040400-1397364809_thumb.jpg

Is there any way you can lighten up your pics so we can see small defining details? Sometimes the smallest mark, striation or curve can make a ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thanks!

The striations suggest Gator tooth and the other looks like a suggestively shaped rock or bone frag. But hopefully others can give their opinions.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I'd concur with Charlie that the tooth shaped fossil with the conical root does suggest gator. Since it is likely easier to determine in hand than through photos, can you see if there are two ridged "seams" running the length of the tooth (roughly opposite sides of the tooth from each other)? Gator teeth are notable for their dual seams whereas croc teeth have more (and in my experience tend to be a bit slimmer for some reason).

The other piece looks to me like a suggestively broken chunk of dugong rib as it appears solid. You might be able to see some concentric growth rings (like tree rings) in bright light.

Be careful as the lure of hunting the Peace River is highly addictive. If you were only visiting from Indiana you may escape its siren call due to your remote location. If you find yourself hunting online for cheap airfares to Florida more than twice a week, consult your physician.

Even more addictive than fossil hunting (or Crack) is oxygen--once you've had your first taste it's proven to be 100% addictive--and a real pain to kick the habit. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken,

It's too late for us, already addicts. Meg teeth- its all I hear about day after day. "Come on Mom, it's only an 18 hour drive, we could be hunting by tomorrow afternoon".... :-)

Archived