Cuddlefish Beaks Galore! Whiskey Bridge Trip!

silverphoenix

Well I got out yesterday for a couple hours in the morning--spur of the moment thing. I got everything I needed to get done last night and this morning things went faster than I expected and I got everything done that I needed to and so I figured--3 hrs spare time before dark=WHISKEY BRIDGE!!!

The pictures say it all--I'll leave out all the conus and commons because I'm sure everyone is tired of see all the ones I bring back, but here's something for a change. Can someone say cuddlefish beaks and shark teeth galore? I dug out the new shell bed I exposed yesterday--still need to go through the material I brought back

CIMG3126.jpg

weird coral

CIMG3127.jpg

CIMG3128.jpg

4 beaks in one day WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes 5 that I've found so far.

Nice. Too bad me and Oh-man missed you Sunday. We found a few really nice items also. You may have felt crowded as there were 52 people there (give or take a few).

Y'all need to post what ya found! :D I had to leave before most people got there, but that's probably a good thing because I really don't care too much for crowds. Sorry I missed everyone--I hope y'all make it to the dig this next Saturday!

Great finds! I wish I would have known you'd find more sooner; I would have asked to trade for one :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Here's my Otodus obliquus tooth.

Best tooth I've found in TX to date.

A little smaller than the ariculatus in my bag from my November trip to SC.

Great job on the beaks!

Hope to see you Saturday although we'll not get there until after 1:00.

MikeD - thanks for the pic!

post-549-1232432048_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Great job on the beaks!

Hope to see you Saturday although we'll not get there until after 1:00.

MikeD - thanks for the pic!

Awesome tooth!!! I've gotten pretty decent on finding the small ones, but I'm still looking for one of those! :D

Hmm... the "beak guy"? I like it lol But has anyone else found 5 or more of these beaks here? I know there's quite a few who haven't found one yet :faint:

Guest bmorefossil

thats a nice little tooth

How about "Beaker" from the Muppets? Sounds like a fitting moniker to me........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Beaker sounds good!MeeMeeMeeMeeMeeMeeMee! As beaker would say. congrats on the finds.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

They are superb. Pardon me for showing my ignorance (well I am British!) but what period are these from? They look very similar to the Belosaepia we get here in the Eocene.

Well I got out yesterday for a couple hours in the morning--spur of the moment thing. I got everything I needed to get done last night and this morning things went faster than I expected and I got everything done that I needed to and so I figured--3 hrs spare time before dark=WHISKEY BRIDGE!!!

The pictures say it all--I'll leave out all the conus and commons because I'm sure everyone is tired of see all the ones I bring back, but here's something for a change. Can someone say cuddlefish beaks and shark teeth galore? I dug out the new shell bed I exposed yesterday--still need to go through the material I brought back

CIMG3126.jpg

weird coral

CIMG3127.jpg

CIMG3128.jpg

4 beaks in one day WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes 5 that I've found so far.

Naughty, naughty, Chris...!! You certainly don't seem in the least bit ignorant to me, though you do pose a very good question...

Gethin

:)

"We try not to use the word insane, we prefer the term mentally hilarious... "

You guessed right :D They are all from the Eocene--about 40-45 mya.

Wow! Thats purty cool. Poor Roz is going to just cry!!! But I still have faith in you Roz. Goooooo Roz Goooooooooooo!!!!

RB

Here's a recent one, not a fossil. Sepia sp. I think. Apart from the biting area, it's amazing how thin they are.

post-45-1232489249_thumb.jpg

post-45-1232489261_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Wow! Thats purty cool. Poor Roz is going to just cry!!! But I still have faith in you Roz. Goooooo Roz Goooooooooooo!!!!

RB

RB, thanks for your faith and do you have an extra box of tissue? Dang those beaks getting posted and

not one has ever come my way..

Just kidding, congratulations to all the beakers on here.

I will become one one day soon! I am a beaker wanna be :D

Welcome to the forum!

They are superb. Pardon me for showing my ignorance (well I am British!) but what period are these from? They look very similar to the Belosaepia we get here in the Eocene.

Chris

They are from the Eocene. In fact it no wonder that they look similiar to the Belosaepia you get in the Barton Beds or Bracksham because that is what they are, specically Belosaepia ungla. From a stratigraphic point of view the Stone City Formation is probably slightly below the Barton Beds that you are familiar with.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Well they are beaks, but from the ancestors of modern day cuttlefish. They are certainly mouth parts which came in pairs--lower and upper. I'm not for sure which is which, but my hypothesis is that the beak without the crown is a lower, and the others I have found are all uppers.

I'm going to sort my sift material/look it once over from now on before I sift it because I'm afraid I damaged 3 of the 4 while sifting them out. I saved the material that fell through and am currently processing it to be sorted through (washed, dried, soak in H2O2, washed again, now I'm allowing it to dry to be H2O2 dowsed again one last time before the final rinse), so hopefully I'll find what broke off of them. It's hard to find these and even harder to dig, sift, transport, and clean them in one piece, as with just about everything from this site.