Is This A Tooth?

claire01

Can any of you tell if this is a tooth, or just something else that has broken into the shape of one? The entire piece is about 4 inches, and the "tooth" is about .5 inches or so. If it is a tooth, any ideas on what it may be from? Thanks, guys :)

post-7100-0-83626200-1397480178_thumb.jpg

post-7100-0-00716600-1397480217_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Scylla. Carl has helped me identify the fecal material on specimens like this before, but this one had that tooth like thing in it and I was curious about it.

Oh, sorry, I see what you mean now. I didn't see the decimal point in front of the five so I thought you were thinking this was 4 inches out of a 5 inch tooth :wacko: The smaller item does not seem to have any enamel to me, so I don't think it is a tooth. Could it be a fragment of belemnite or a piece of claw? What formation is this from?

Edited by Scylla

Here's a slightly better picture, I think you may be right about it being a portion of a claw.

post-7100-0-38485000-1397482642_thumb.jpg

Could that piece be part of the 6th abdominal segment or a fragment propodus or merus of a crab claw?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

A bit of shrimp claw, maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had the same thought! That would be a very rare and fortuitous association!

Could that piece be part of the 6th abdominal segment or a fragment propodus or merus of a crab claw?