Confirming Some Moroccan Trilobite Ids

Shamalama

Hi guys! I picked up three Moroccan trilobites at the NJ/NY show this weekend. None were labelled but I think I have at least the genus correct on these. Let me know if I got something wrong.

Cornuproetus sp.

post-1408-0-88107600-1397483498_thumb.jpg

Phacops sp.?

post-1408-0-87810300-1397483505_thumb.jpg

Parahomalonotus

post-1408-0-46405000-1397483512_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hello Dave,i think it could be the good ID for the two first sample,the third one seems for me to be a Frankenstein sample made with perhaps two parts,speciality of Morocco and China,i can also see the resin parts with clear color,the black color seems to be too bright to be honest,a little acetone show the real from the artisanal work.

Hi Gery. I agree that there is resin used to fill some of the gaps but this is not a frankenstein specimen. All the cracks in the rock line up and rock color is consistent. The resin is filling larger gaps where the rock splintered off and they were not able to recover. No paint either that I can tell. Before I buy Moroccan material I always check. :) Some obvious fakes that I saw at the show:

post-1408-0-15553900-1397487465_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-48145300-1397487470_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-61892800-1397487475_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The Moroccan phacopids are always tricky, especially without a complete array of eye lenses. McKellar & Chatterton, 2009 utilized 40 unique characters in their analysis. If you had additional examples it would be a lot easier to ID it confidently. The closest match with regard to eye lens count / configuration might be: Boeckops stelcki. Check the following papers that I sent you last month for additional details on all of your new acquisitions.

IMG1.jpg

McKellar, R.C., & Chatterton, B.D.E. (2009)
Early and Middle Devonian Phacopidae (Trilobita) of southern Morocco.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 28:1-110

Chatterton, B.D.E., Fortey, R.A., Brett, K.D., Gibb, S.L, & McKellar, R.C. (2006)

Trilobites from the upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara et Zguilma, southern Morocco.

Palaeontographica Canadiana, 25:1-177

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png