Mt. Orab Ohio Trilobite

jgcox

A friend in the Dry Dredgers gave me several flats of matrix he collected 10 years ago at Mt. Orab. He said I could use the matrix to practice prepping. So I found this Flexicalymene meeki, he is missing his phygidium but still a great display.

post-11020-0-01040400-1397494157_thumb.jpg

Nice prep job, jgcox! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

would love to have been able to collect there just once! and of course score a 6 inch prone isotelus...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice prep! Congrats on your continuous growth in the finely attuned skill that is fossil prep!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

would love to have been able to collect there just once! and of course score a 6 inch prone isotelus...

You wouldn't be satisfied with an enrolled specimen? I sure was, when I was there on Sunday with the Penn Dixie field trip! :D

Dan Cooper will be including the specimen in a growth sequence destined for the Smithsonian, so at the moment I don't even have a photo to show off, but my name will listed as the collector when it gets its NMNH number! B)

I was wanting to know how to prep these trilobites. Do u use a pick or something more aggressive like a air scribe? I just came across a few and have never prepped one before. Any help would be great thanks in advance .

DLB I use an air scribe or an electric engraver, then I use a pin vise with a needle tip to soften or remove matrix from between the thorax segments. I then use a mini sand blaster with dolomite as the blast media to clean off any hard to remove matrix. Hope this helps.

Practice on some broken specimens that way if you break a piece and you will then its not as bad as breaking a nice specimen. and practice on different matrixes also. Best of luck and practice practice and practice.

enrolled works! i've found only one small isotelus, a perfect little enrolled "kermit the frog" back in 1980.

You wouldn't be satisfied with an enrolled specimen? I sure was, when I was there on Sunday with the Penn Dixie field trip! :D

Dan Cooper will be including the specimen in a growth sequence destined for the Smithsonian, so at the moment I don't even have a photo to show off, but my name will listed as the collector when it gets its NMNH number! B)

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived