Alternatives To A Rock Saw?

Perfect Castaway

So I have several trilobites that I've found and have prepped, but they are on very large slabs. I'd love to be able to cut these slabs down to manageable sizes but sadly I lack a rock saw. Are there alternatives that can be found in the average tool shed? I mean, I have skil saws, table saws, air powered die cutters, etc. Can any of these things be used for cutting through fairly soft limestone? Rock saws are pretty expensive and not really widely available.

I figured I'd ask here before actually trying these out myself, just to avoid any possible catastrophic consequences of attempting to cut through solid rock with something not designed for that.

You should be able to buy a round diamond blade that fits into your average hacksaw that should be available from the hardware store and if not from a tile shop as that is the cheapest way to cut tiles. another alternative would be to get a diamond blade for your electric grinder but do not try to use a sintilated ( one with slots) blade as that may catch and shatter the matrix. But above all else test on a scrap first.

Mike.

I use a hand held tile saw on my soft limestone specimens. It takes a while to make a cut but they are cheap. The blades don't last too long but they are readily available and I have a load of spares with me always.

Edit: I sometimes use an angle grinder on harder rock - they are also fairly cheap.

post-4683-0-44284100-1397546728_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-01190300-1397546731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kosmoceras

A small tile saw can usually be gotten for around $40. 00. Harbor Freight tools is my go to cheap tool place.

I have some small diamond blades for my rotary tool, to start a scoring line on my shales, then I use tile nippers to finish off the cut - fairly effective.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tile saw with a diamond blade is probably your best bet. I use the hacksaw alternative out in the field where there is no electric. You could rent a concrete saw for a few bucks if it is a bigger job or find a friend with one.

If you have a circular saw, 7 1/4 inch, you can buy a blade for cutting rock with it, both a diamond blade and or a masonry blade. You can get a cut almost 3 inches deep with those. Good luck

RB

If you have a circular saw, 7 1/4 inch, you can buy a blade for cutting rock with it, both a diamond blade and or a masonry blade. You can get a cut almost 3 inches deep with those. Good luck

RB

I've used this for many cuts of brick and concrete pavers as well as some real hard shale. If the piece is small, frame out a jig to hold it onto a chunk of RR tie so you can use 2 hands to control the saw.

It will be very dusty so a mask and safety glasses are good choices.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's always interesting to see the different methods people use to tackle the same problem.

I use a MK wet tile saw with a diamond blade to cut rock into slabs. I got it online for less than $150.00 a few years ago. I usually put the water pump into a separate five gallon bucket so that I don't have to clean rock sludge out of anything but the bottom tray of the saw.

Work outside if possible, wear proper safety gear, and don't dump the rock sludge into drains.