Average Time Spent With Fossils?

Trevor

Hello, everyone. I am just fantasizing how much time on average a dedicated fossil hunter spends each month around fossils. Almost every day I organize and analyise my fossil collection. And I go fossil hunting around 2-4 times a month. I feel this is not that much compared to some others, but it is still fun. Overall what time do you give to fossils each month.

: )

Nothing close to that. I've done one field trip this year so far. I need to go hit another local this month if I can find some time.

What Missourian said, my office is full of my trilobite collection all around me ;)

And thruout day I am doing stuff with trilobites on my groups on FB, here, working with my fossil cataloge -- so 24-7-365 mixed with life he he

Please don't bring up this subject with my family, hehehe

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Technically, I'm around fossils 24-7-365. :)

I'm considered a fossil at work. I read non-stop about fossils. Heck took one to work today to look at under a new loupe I got this last weekend.

I'm doing something about fossils every day. Sometimes researching maps for new collecting sites, prepping when the weather permits, sorting through concretions and 'eyeballing' new tools for prepping and collecting. Was getting busy today chopping blackberry vines and found my old wheel barrow full of concretions. Pretty much all the time, shoot, I even dream about prepping. :P

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Please don't bring up this subject with my family, hehehe

I second this motion.

I just spent almost every night for a week going through large freezer bags from four different locations of micro matrix. And i have two to go......

Im having a blast, but my girlfriend is getting really ##### at this point.....hahaha I keep telling her that at least im further my knowledge and im only addicted to fossils and not drugs or alcohol. She still doesn't want to here it. :P

Then i have about five other related fossil projects im in the process of doing.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Although I only go out fossiling about once every couple of months, I am around them and reading about them just about every day. Not to mention I'm on my way to studying them at university so one day I plan to have a career based around looking for and researching them.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I go pretty much every weekend, both days, when the season allows as never know how long I'm going to get.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Does TFF count? That would be like including 'breathing' in your list of daily activities.

Context is critical.

Does TFF count? That would be like including 'breathing' in your list of daily activities.

Word...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

do 250,000 road miles and $75k in trip and gear related expenses over 11 years count? ma' nature is a wonderful teacher.... but tuition ain't cheap!

Grüße,

don't tell my family, but had i not started fossil collecting, i could have taken all 3 of us to europe for 2 wks every one of those years on what i've spent collecting.

Grüße,

don't tell my family, but had i not started fossil collecting, i could have taken all 3 of us to europe for 2 wks every one of those years on what i've spent collecting.

Um, Dan, just a tip. If you don't want your family to know something, then maybe you shouldn't post it on the internet?

How much time? Too much time. Way too much time. Oh, and even if you didn't ask, too much money too. Gas, tools, hotels, all added up cost way more than the cost of just buying the fossils outright. But the purchased ones just don't seem the same.

they already know... mua ha ha!

Grüße,

10 hours a week +/_, I also fish and play golf.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

:D

I spend enough time on fossils, regularly enough, that my husband has asked me if my current efforts are a permanent project, or a short-term interest. :P I've told him that I'll try not to let it completely dominate my evenings...but we really need to get a dedicated area set up for storing our finds, soon!

Every time we go for a hike, we're both looking at rocks. It's not just me! It just happens that I'm the one spending time at home, rinsing the dirt off, putting them in Riker mounts, processing microfossils, etc. He just picks them up, and researches the ones that catch his interest, or digs up papers on the Internet for me if I express curiosity about a particular feature.

I couldn't begin to say how much time either of us actually spends on the Collection. It's not trivial!

I don't go hunting often enough.. but when I do it often necessitates going back to retrieve something I didn't have the time or energy to get first time. Case in point, there are 4 fossils waiting for me up there right now (rainy spell to sit thru).... But I spend far more time at home gluing and so on, and just being in the same room as my disorganized collection, contemplating on what I need to do and waiting for the means. All in all too much of a good thing!