Yes, Please

Boogra

Guest Nicholas

The genome is still only about 85% complete according to the researchers on the project, they are hopeful for its completion in the next 6 months. It will be soon in any case.

What astounds me that it has been announced in interview that they almost have the complete Neanderthal Genome, and there has been little news or reference to it.

Guest bmorefossil
The genome is still only about 85% complete according to the researchers on the project, they are hopeful for its completion in the next 6 months. It will be soon in any case.

What astounds me that it has been announced in interview that they almost have the complete Neanderthal Genome, and there has been little news or reference to it.

well if you remember just a few years ago they were saying that they had brought back species that had gone extinct a few years ago, but it never happened.

well if you remember just a few years ago they were saying that they had brought back species that had gone extinct a few years ago, but it never happened.

I still remain optomistic. Out of any prehistoric animal in all the world, the wooly mammoth is the one I would most like to see up close.

Guest Nicholas

A woolly mammoth would make me exceptionally happy, it being my very favorite of fossil animals. There are others I also like though, I would love to see the ice aged animals be able to roam parks of the norther tundra. I too remain optimistic.

Guest solius symbiosus

I'm of the opinion that these critters had their chance in the evolutionary scheme of things, and they failed. For that reason, they should remain extinct. Study-yes; bring back-no.

A woolly mammoth would make me exceptionally happy, it being my very favorite of fossil animals. There are others I also like though, I would love to see the ice aged animals be able to roam parks of the norther tundra. I too remain optimistic.

I've read an historical fiction series of books called The First Americans by William Sarabande (Beyond the Sea of Ice is the first one), which is an eleven book series about paleolithic indians and their crossing from the Bering Strait into the Northwest and Central US and is told in extreme graphic detail - the good, the bad and the ugly. The author did a heck of a lot of research for the books and even went on digs, consulted with anthropologists and others in several related fileds. Mammoths remain central figures in the books and are portrayed as I believe they were - majestic, intelligent creatures. The series is so good that I'm now on my third time re-reading it. It never fails to stir the desire to me to see the old animals of the past.

Guest bmorefossil
I'm of the opinion that these critters had their chance in the evolutionary scheme of things, and they failed. For that reason, they should remain extinct. Study-yes; bring back-no.

solius puts up a good point, if they couldnt survive before why should we bring them back to survive now. Now its not that I dont want to see these animals but for no reason should they be treated special.

I agree with bmore. Just because we can bring them back does not mean we should. What a lonely existence it would be for the poor creature. I would never want to be brought back alone into a strange world that had changed beyond my recognition. I have a feeling that Mammoths were just as intelligent as modern day elephants. They are not just a simple animal wandering and grazing. They have mothers who lead them and teach them. They have families that grow together and nurture there young. They communicate with each other over miles and miles. In many ways we are just beginning to understand our modern elephant. I feel that it would be selfish beyond measure to bring back the mammoth just to appease our curiosity. To be alone the only one, no one of my kind to communicate with, that to me would be the definition of hell.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'