Hell Creek Formation, South Dakota

Bev

My sister and I are considering a little vacation to the Black Hills of South Dakota. I've done a little research so far and found that the Hell Creek formation extends into the NW portion of SD. Also there is Mammoth Springs in the SW portion.

Both would be just a day trip, does any one have any experience in these areas they would be willing to share? I'm not looking for anything in particular, just want to bring home a few fossils as a memory from the trip.

Thanks for sharing!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Mammoth Hot Springs is not a place you can collect, but definitely worth the trip. It's an exceptional site.

Almost all of the hell Ck Fm in NW SD (Custer County) is leased by some commercial collector or another... or the landowners don't want anyone on their place. Custer County, from my experience and discussions with others is hard to get access to. On the other hand, PM me and I can help you find a place to hunt in Wyoming... not as far from the Black Hills as Custer County.

If you are in the Black Hills stop in Hill City nice small town and home to the Black Hills Institute. Nice museum tour of the local fossils and other localities. Pretty hard to get a day collecting in the Hell Creek without going with someone who has access. Enjoy your vacation its beautiful country.