Pterosaurs!

Scylla

I have never found a pterosaur fossil, and now I know why. Having just seen the new pterosaur exhibit at the AMNH and seeing just how thin their bones are I doubt I ever will find one. Even if I did I would probably not recognize it as bone. Anyway I would recommend visiting this exhibit while it lasts to anyone in the NYC area.

post-3451-0-08450700-1397677764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scylla

Scylla,

I have exactly one pterosaur bone specimen in my collection but that's only because Mike Triebold gave me about 3 3/4 inches of a Pteranodon second phalanx (Niobrara find, KS). It is and was a generous gift (twenty or more years ago) because someone is always willing to pay for parts to put together at least most of a wing.

Pterosaur bones are almost always found flattened (almost plate-like) so they can look like fish bones. If I had found it, I would have thought "fish."

Jess

I have never found a pterosaur fossil, and now I know why. Having just seen the new pterosaur exhibit at the AMNH and seeing just how thin their bones are I doubt I ever will find one. Even if I did I would probably not recognize it as bone. Anyway I would recommend visiting this exhibit while it lasts to anyone in the NYC area.

attachicon.gifWP_000589_edited.jpg

A femur from the Peedee of NC in the New Jersey State Museum collection is in the round. I recall some from C&D canal in DE that were flattened. Only two eastern occurrences that I know of but am sure there are more in museum collections and private ones as well. Wish we had something like the Niobrara in the east!

The MAPS museum has a piece of a limb bone. That was only recently collected in past year or two. Also one of the local museums has a vertebrae from the old Atlantic Highlands locality if memory serves me. So, they are around NJ... good luck Scylla you can find the next one!

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Good idea to wear a raincoat with reptiles that big flying overhead!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

And a bonus picture from one of the Dino halls at the AMNH, because Auspex made me laugh, this one's for you:

post-3451-0-69298700-1397768083_thumb.jpg

Good idea to wear a raincoat with reptiles that big flying overhead!

Pffft!...a hard hat would be more appropriate. :P

Here is an impressive skeleton hanging from the ceiling of the Texas Memorial Museum in Austin, TX.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Raincoat is a good idea, since you will never hear it coming.

( you know with pterosaurs the "p" is silent)

Ramo

• I found this Informative 1

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Ramo

>GROAN<

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ramo

:rofl:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wish I could take credit for coming up with that, but I heard it about a week ago and was waiting an opening!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold