Help With A Possible Plant Fossil

dinosaurbero

Hello,

the terrestrial plant fossils are not very common in supratidal carbonate outcrops of the Cretaceous of Istria (Croatia) - the Adriatic Dinaridic Carbonate Platform. I wonder if this could be a plant fossil or is it just an artifact? See the photograph:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uDM__8iS-0c/U002rzr81HI/AAAAAAAACXo/NMQ4N4OGPDs/s1600/kamenjak-cenomanian-fossil-1.jpg

The age is probably Cenomanian.

You can read more on my blog:

http://mesozoicmosaic.blogspot.com/

Maybe algae?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the suggestion, Auspex. Yes, it might be some sort of sea plant. However, first of all, I would like to eliminate the possibility of an artifact.

kamenjak-cenomanian-fossil-1.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, for posting, Auspex! The form that looks like some kind of long narrow leaves is on the left in the photograph, of course. For the size scale, there's an "indicator" in the left corner. Part of the wire fence is visible.

Edited by dinosaurbero

Interesting specimen! It does look "organic" to me also, mostly because the structure repeatedly branches by splitting in two (similar to dichotomous branching). On your website you talk about a "mid-Cretaceous angiosperm" called "Sapidopsis". I checked the name in Taylor et al. (2009), a very good and well referenced resource. Unfortunately, this genus is not listed. There is mention of a genus called Sapindopsis, though. However, given the description in Taylor et al. (2009), this genus does not resemble your specimen (to illustrate, compare Google results such as this specimen). Still, perhaps you made a typo. If not, how did you arrive at Sapidopsis (without the n)? I cannot find any information on this genus. Currently, I am inclined to follow Auspex that this could be an algae of some sort.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I have found the name Sapidopsis angusta in this paper:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk3/ftp05/nq23955.pdf

Yes, I think it resembles a psilophyte plant. The environment was supratidal-intertidal with extensive mudflats, where dinosaurs left their tracks. With rudist reefs and stromatolites in the shallow sea.

Or it could be an algae washed on the shore.

Thank you paleoflor and piranha for the correct name. Although, it seems this isn't the plant in the photograph.