Boogra

Mississippi/west Alabama/east Louisiana Fossilites...speak Up!

Boogra

Anyone out there from Mississippi, West Alabama or East Louisiana?

verydeadthings

It doesn't seem like there are many of us, does it? I'm new to this site; I go to school in Baton Rouge right now, but my parents live in Mandeville. They have property on the Bogue Chitta River in Washington Parish, Louisiana, and I've gone out there a few times to look for fossils in the gravel. I'll post some pictures of my finds when I get around to it; they are around 480-320 mya, and mostly I've been finding molds of crinoids, along with brachiopods, gastropods, bryozoans, and tabulate and rugose corals. Also a piece of fossilized wood that is certainly much more recent. I've also had a little luck at Clarke Creek, in Tunica Hills, MS, the most memorable being a piece of reddish modern-looking coral. Not the most glamorous fossil hunting, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

bigjohn835
Not the most glamorous fossil hunting, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Depends on what you consider glamorous. Welcome to the club.

Guest solius symbiosus
... Bogue Chitta River in Washington Parish, Louisiana, and I've gone out there a few times to look for fossils in the gravel. I'll post some pictures of my finds when I get around to it; they are around 480-320 mya,

Where is it coming from? There is no Paleozoic within a few hundred miles of there.

MikeR
Anyone out there from Mississippi, West Alabama or East Louisiana?

Hello from Georgia.

I know there are really nice Eocene and Cretaceous sites out in W. AL and MS. If you know of any and need some help collecting them, let me know.

Oddball

I hail from Winona, MS.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Northern Alabama here, near Huntsville. I have collected in Mississippi many times. (I really miss the Frankstown site!!)

neovenator250

I'm in Eastern Louisiana. From New Orleans, but school in Baton Rouge. Planning on going on a trip down to Florida to hit up the Peace River, etc soon. As for collecting locally, I've been to St. Stephen's Quarry in Alabama (Eocene, got lots of inverts and a few shark teeth) and done some collecting in the Tunica Hills with groups from LSU. Lots of Pleistocene goodies

OneOneNiner

Southeast Louisiana checking in. I hunt the rivers and creeks of SE Louisiana/Mississippi.

Been collecting petrified wood, arrowheads, crinoids, and some fossils for a bit over twenty five years now.

I must add that I owe it all to my Uncle for introducing me to hunting when I was a kid.

Rocketmandane

Southeast Louisiana checking in. I hunt the rivers and creeks of SE Louisiana/Mississippi.

Been collecting petrified wood, arrowheads, crinoids, and some fossils for a bit over twenty five years now.

I must add that I owe it all to my Uncle for introducing me to hunting when I was a kid.

Necro... BUT the info never gets old!

Just moved to the Southern MS Area! If you have any recommendations for areas to start looking I'm all ears! I would be heading out from the Biloxi/ Gulfport area.

OneOneNiner

Necro... BUT the info never gets old!

Just moved to the Southern MS Area! If you have any recommendations for areas to start looking I'm all ears! I would be heading out from the Biloxi/ Gulfport area.

PM sent