Fossil Collecting Under Uv Light?

Kosmoceras

No, I have not tested the UVA flashlight in the field.

I wonder if rattlesnakes fluoresce in UVA . . .

If they don't fluoresce, it might be easy to walk into one

in the weak illumination from the UVA flashlight.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 10 months later...

First post here - I'm very uninformed about fossils but I am familiar with UV photography. My 11/y old daughter and I went for a walk and I found this in grey chalk. Of the fossils we found (20) this is the only one that fluoresces under UV, so I thought it might be a shark's tooth?

Thanks for any help.

tooth1.jpg

tooth2.jpg

UVIFL with filtered 365nm torches

It has a generally suggestive shape, but I would not expect a shark's tooth to exhibit crushing (if I am seeing it right).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Same here I don't see a tooth. You may want to carefully remove some of the matrix, chalk, around the object and see if it reveals anything.

Thanks folks, appreciated. As I say, very uninformed - thought the UVIFL might be a definitive pointer but who knows, bound to be something else. Matrix manipulation isn't something I've done before so I'll have a shot. Thanks again.

-Johan

That's what I thought at first Don, before shining a torch at it. Its structure seemed to suggest that... cracked bits of exoskeleton...

Archived