Help With This Shark Tooth

Hawkeye

My son found this tooth yesterday in Summerville, SC and it has me stumped. I'm sure it is a small example of something common but I cannot place it. Total length is about 1/2 in. and it has very fine serrations and small cusps. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

post-757-1232490680_thumb.jpg

I'll say thanks for your help in advance because I know somebody will tell me what it is.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I'm don't get to hunt that formation often but it looks like a Carcharocles angustidens to me. Congrats to your son! Great find!!

My son found this tooth yesterday in Summerville, SC and it has me stumped. I'm sure it is a small example of something common but I cannot place it. Total length is about 1/2 in. and it has very fine serrations and small cusps. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

post-757-1232490680_thumb.jpg

I'll say thanks for your help in advance because I know somebody will tell me what it is.

Excellent example of a juvenile/posterior Carcharocles auriculatus (as stated by others members). A great first find for this fossil shark species.

Excellent example of a juvenile/posterior Carcharocles auriculatus (as stated by others members). A great first find for this fossil shark species.

This is NOT a C. auriculatis but a C. angustidens.

Gr

Martijn

Qua patet orbis