What Kind Of Insect Is This? Nj Amber

NZ_Fossil_Collecta

i recently bought this amber inclusion, it is in new jersey amber (cretaceous) and if the price helps with the ID it was about 14 $US.

they said they think it could be a wasp but they do not have know for sure. it is about 1mm long for scale. i know the pictures aren't that good but it's all i have until it gets to me and i probably won't be able to get any better pictures anyway as the piece is a little cloudy.

post-13660-0-12007800-1397977182_thumb.jpg

post-13660-0-37662900-1397977185_thumb.jpg

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

I'll have to wait 'til you have it and can hopefully make a better image. For now, it is just a shape that could be anything, or nothing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The point at the back appears to be the two back legs trailing behind, not a sting, so if that was what they were using as a diagnostic feature of a wasp then it still could be one, but not because of that. I counted the legs it's an insect and it has a rounded abdomen, more precise isn't possible yet but wasp, fruit fly, and a few other things are likely we will have to wait and find out if you can get a better image

ok, i'll try to get a better image when it arrives.

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Archived