Wow! My Best Find Ever! What The Heck? New Pictures!

cowgirlfossils

Be great to see if you can find where it has slid down from - I would not be at all surprised if the rest of the skull isn't there as well.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 3 weeks later...

Not above...but below! Found more last night...will try to retrieve it this eve. Either more of the same bone or another part. Haven't gotten the big bone out yet..but may do that tonight too. Proving to be in such a odd and precarious place. Can't jacket because of the added weight...

Can't jacket because of the added weight...

Great find. Your going to need some help getting that out of there. Wish I still lived out that way. As a rough estimate your looking at over 500 lbs

before you jacket it. I wouldn't skip the jacketing thinking you can carry it out. maybe a sled of some sort to get it to the bottom of the hill or to a tractor.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Great find. Your going to need some help getting that out of there. Wish I still lived out that way. As a rough estimate your looking at over 500 lbs

before you jacket it. I wouldn't skip the jacketing thinking you can carry it out. maybe a sled of some sort to get it to the bottom of the hill or to a tractor.

Got a sled figured out...yep..slide down the hill then put into back of pick-up right at the bottom. It's just the 2 feet from where it is to the sand below that is the worry. I do have help with fossil26 and others..Cross fingers! If we don't get it soon the wind is going to remove more sand and it will come down on it's own...

... It's just the 2 feet from where it is to the sand below that is the worry...

Shovel-up a ramp to slide it down. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A helicopter :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Shovel-up a ramp to slide it down. ;)

Can't...thought of that. Can't pile sand on sand, just keeps falling...gonna try to wet a little to pack it...

I really think it will be fine..it's survived this long!

Is there anyway you could climb above it and make an anchor point to connect a harness so you could loop a rope through? Then attach one end to the sled, so a few of you can ease it down in the sled.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Is there anyway you could climb above it and make an anchor point to connect a harness so you could loop a rope through? Then attach one end to the sled, so a few of you can ease it down in the sled.

Yep...that's been considered too! We are getting to it from above then lowering it about 100' down the hill...Bringing everything we may need from soup to nuts! I really don't think it weighs as much as suggested...pretty thin and narrow...we'll see! You guys know more than I do!

K...it's is going to be heavy for sure! you were right! I found a small piece of it and pulled it out tonight. Will get pics tomorrow and add to this post. It's small and very heavy. I'm going to weigh it in the A.M.

K...it's is going to be heavy for sure! you were right! I found a small piece of it and pulled it out tonight. Will get pics tomorrow and add to this post. It's small and very heavy. I'm going to weigh it in the A.M.

I just roughed out an estimate of 4' at 125lbs per cubic foot. (solid rock is around 150lbs/cf)

if you can get good dimensions and figure out what the weight per volume of the 'chunk' is you'll have a better Idea.

That kind of weight will tend to make a sled 'plow' into the sand. But then again you have gravity on your side :)

Looking forward to your adventure

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

So this is the chunk we got last night. It is 11"x11" and weighs 18 lbs. We are planning on removal of the big piece Sat.

post-4921-0-19023500-1399995745_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-84421500-1399995815_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-62907900-1399995866_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-12413900-1399995922_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-00350000-1399995948_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-93972200-1399995978_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-92655800-1399996004_thumb.jpg

post-4921-0-97299300-1399996034_thumb.jpg

Nice bone! Good luck with the rest and don't forget to pick up all the fragments.

Paul

Edited by paulgdls

Sat. is the day for removal...we are going to secure it from above and lower it slowly to our sled. :popcorn:

First we are going to do some jacketing with a fiberglass mixture from Fossil26. We will get lots of pics then add to this post. :fingers crossed:

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering how it went?

• 7 months later...

Still in process of reassembly. Don't want to rush into anything. It was quite the challenge being on the side of a hill barely held on by natures cement,

sand and rocks. When the weather gets a little better I'll spend more time in the shop putting it together. We got as far as baleen whale.