Small Baculites Portion, Big-0 80 Pd. Ammonite, & A Couple Others.

Tennessees Pride

Here's a portion of Baculites from a Coon Creek formation outcrop east of Selmer, Tn. Beside hwy. 64. Late Cretaceous. Maastrichian, around 72mya.

post-14571-0-71581100-1398180978_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

The "big-0" 80 pd. Ammonite.....this is purchased material w/ a North African origin. I bought it on one of my visits to Pike's Peak in Colorado. From a little mom & pops rock shop right outside the entrance. Placed it in the road for a second...for scale comparison...

post-14571-0-04712400-1398181407_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Couple of lil'cuties. Purchased.

post-14571-0-72746000-1398181759_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua

Still haven't recovered a good personal Ammonite find....looking....maybe one day... That Coon Creek Science Center alittle south on Enville,Tn., has on display an awsome Ammonite recovered there....gives me nightmares how awsome it is! :) Still has all the original enamel on it....looks like mother of pearl!...A very respectable size too.

--- Joshua

Another surprising find!

All of my mother of pearl baculites and ammos had to be prepped out of shale mud balls. Here's a topic i posted earlier about how this process is formed, and Painshill explains it quite well. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44623-can-anyone-explain-why-mother-of-pearl-stays-on-some-fossils-please/?hl=%2Bmother+%2Bof+%2Bpearl.

Judging from your drive and passion for collecting and your uncanny abilities to sniff out rare finds like a coon dog, im sure you'll find some great pieces!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Another surprising find!

All of my mother of pearl baculites and ammos had to be prepped out of shale mud balls. Here's a topic i posted earlier about how this process is formed, and Painshill explains it quite well. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44623-can-anyone-explain-why-mother-of-pearl-stays-on-some-fossils-please/?hl=%2Bmother+%2Bof+%2Bpearl.

Judging from your drive and passion for collecting and your uncanny abilities to sniff out rare finds like a coon dog, im sure you'll find some great pieces!

Hey Charlie! :) thank you....and i'll try not to let you down in the future. Ya know, that partial Baculites came out of something like a matrix of mudstone....there is actually more of the specimen there, but i left it for now cause i didn't have the right tools w/ me @ the time.....haven't forgot about the rest though. :) last year i found a sweet little complete Baculites in the upper siderite bearing part of the Coon Creek formation, but i ended up donating it....still miss that lil' gem. It was about 3 inches long. Hey man, i hear ya about painshill !!! He's good @ explaining things! :D i'll sure check out that thread of your's.

--- Joshua

The big ammo looks to me to be a bit enhanced by carving. If you ever roll down to Texas, there are still plenty of good sized Eopachydiscus ammonites around. I have enough of them that I don't wear myself out mining and carrying them out anymore. I just don't have storage and display space for more of the same. I get more enjoyment out of them these days when I guide someone who totally wigs out while discovering their first one.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The big ammo looks to me to be a bit enhanced by carving. If you ever roll down to Texas, there are still plenty of good sized Eopachydiscus ammonites around. I have enough of them that I don't wear myself out mining and carrying them out anymore. I just don't have storage and display space for more of the same. I get more enjoyment out of them these days when I guide someone who totally wigs out while discovering their first one.

You're right Dan, that thing has been enhanced alittle...especially where it flares out @ the end. I have had thoughts of doing it right on the other side, but thought it would really look strange then. Sir, you should be selling those Ammonites on the net! No telling what you'd make in a years time! .....i'd be one of those guys that would just go to pieces on ya if i found some big'guns!!! :D

Edited by Tennessees Pride

--- Joshua