Mazon Creek Easter "egg" Hunt

digit

Spent last week up in the Chicago area visiting with family, stuffing our faces with lots of great ethnic foods (and Chicago style stuffed pizza), and got a little fossil hunting in this weekend. Although I grew up in the Chicago area I was naively unaware of the fossil wonderland just an hour southwest of the city. I discovered the Mazon Creek Lagerstätte a few years back while touring the Field Museum of Natural History (one of my favorite haunts as a child). With the aid of the Internet (not available as a means of research when I was a kid) I discovered the Mazonia/Braidwood State Fish and Wildlife Area and made a visit. Without really knowing what I was doing I wandered around some of the trails and the tipple area that they run over with a disc harrow every now and then in an effort to expose some nodules. The first couple of trips didn't really turn up more than a handful of nodules--which I hamfistedly beat insensate with a hammer attempting to crack open. Even though I pretty much got skunked I knew there were interesting fossils to be found if I learned more about how to hunt and open them.

Online I learned that nodules would likely be found far from the beaten path (especially where any previous collectors had trod) and I also became aware of the freeze-thaw method to mimic the natural weathering that opened many nodules in the field. Return trips over the next couple of years yielded a few more nodules and our first (of a few) Essexella asherae jellyfish--affectionately know by collectors as 'blobs'. The jellyfish came from naturally split nodules and so we only have the one half that we were lucky to find. A bit of more research and some time spent on Google Maps pouring over satellite imagery of the wildlife area suggested a few interesting places to try to hunt. Return trips never yielded a bonanza of nodules but we did finally find a weather split Annularia stellata (horsetail) in reasonable condition and a small fragment of a fern leaf. After a few trips over several years we had yet to truly experience the Mazon Creek riches the way we wanted to do. I equate this to the difference between screening for fossils in the Peace River verses using a spaghetti strainer to sift the shell hash at the beach in Venice looking for shark teeth but coming up short.

With the help of the resources on TFF (and in particular one of its generous members) we were finally able to crack this nut and have the Mazon Creek experience that we'd been hoping for lo these many years. The weather was spectacular on Easter Sunday when my wife and I drove down to the Mazonia/Braidwood State Fish and Wildlife Area for our own unique twist on an Easter egg hunt--with "eggs" that had been hidden some 300 million years ago. With the proper guidance we were finally able to direct our search efforts into areas of the park where nodules could actually be found. It took a bit of scrabbling through the prickly dried-out underbrush trying to locate areas where other hunters had not already searched. At first we found only smaller nodules but at least they were nodules. After trying a few other spots nearby we finally zeroed-in on a bit of a ridge where erosion had uncovered some of the gray slaty clay which host these rust brown nodules. A quick search of the area showed lots of larger broken bits but no whole nodules. This seemed a sign to me that this area had seen nodule hunters who had already gathered any "eggs" long before we re-discovered this area. Undaunted, we worked our way through the underbrush and down to the base of the slope. From that point we worked our way up and down the slope ducking under the dried dead branches of the shrubby bushes and juniper trees. We had been informed that this time of year would be good for hunting as the grasses and weed have not yet grown back in from the long, hard winter. We broke off a bit of one of the branches littering the ground and made a tool that we could use to sweep away the leaves and dead grass to look for nodules hidden underneath.

Though it took a couple of hours of effort to find we finally found what we were looking for--the quintessential Mazon Creek experience! In little micro-ravines along the slope clusters of nodules could be found. Many times they were found on the upslope or downslope sides of tree trunks. Where previous trips had yielded single nodules with long intervals of searching in between, we were finally in a "honey hole" of sorts where multiple nodules could be found and gathered in little time. While it's taken years to finally arrange to get to this pinnacle of hunting these nodules, it was worth the wait. We only spent 30-40 minutes hunting "in the zone" once we found it. We gathered enough nodules so that we stood a chance of finding some nice souvenirs of the experience and we headed out with a heavy backpack. The long return walk to the car with a load on my back was lightened by though that we had finally checked this experience off our life list of things we'd wanted to do.

I like to think that I persisted in clambering into more barely accessible spaces among the prickly undergrowth but in reality it is probably just that my wife is the smarter of the pair of us and chose not to get as cut-up as I did--either way she ended up without needing tick removal while I had to disengage 3 of the little blighters from various parts of my anatomy (thankfully none in embarrassingly difficult to reach areas).

The fun part about hunting Mazon Creek nodules is that the fun has really just begun. The nodules are now being soaked in a bucket of water to hydrate them. After the water permeates into the nodules sufficiently, I'll take out a few at a time and stick them into my freezer and then thaw them to mimic the natural weathering that will (hopefully) split the nodules along a plane containing something visibly fossiliferous. Many nodules seem to take quite a few cycles before they crack so I'll be able to enjoy this trip little by little as the nodules split out and with any luck reveal something interesting inside. I'll post photos as a follow-up if anything pays-out on these ancient lottery tickets.

Cheers.

-Ken

Below a few pics of the terrain we were hunting in:

post-7713-0-99256000-1398214496_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-15524400-1398214513_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-13838700-1398214520_thumb.jpg

An in situ shot of one of the nodules emerging from the clay as it makes its way back into the sunlight.

-Ken

post-7713-0-81958500-1398214612_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-34344900-1398214617_thumb.jpg

Finally, when we were finally "in the zone" the nodules were found in clusters instead of widely scattered individuals. Using a stick to brush away the dead grass revealed our prizes.

-Ken

post-7713-0-48215000-1398214784_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-73798300-1398214785_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-97717400-1398214786_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-17911600-1398214788_thumb.jpg

Exhausted yet exhilarated--the long climb back up with half a backpack of nodules. If I'd filled it I wouldn't have been able to lift it or make it back up the slope.

An uninvited souvenir from the trip on the back of my leg easily persuaded to leave the dinner table with a loop of string.

And the results of a great day in the field, all rinsed and ready for a long soak before freeze-thaw cycling.

-Ken

post-7713-0-56924400-1398215212_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-99580300-1398215219_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-10166800-1398215221_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-80346500-1398215222_thumb.jpg

Nice report Ken! The pictures are making me even more anxious to go!

Again, can't wait to see what y'all got!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Ken-

I lived in Chicago most of my life and spent a lot of time down in Mazonia/Braidwood -- those pictures bring back a ton of great memories. The ticks were certainly memorable...

Have fun with the freeze/thaw. One of the nice things about Chicago was not having to worry about taking up freezer space -- I collected in the summer and froze them outside during the winter. ("Honey...why is there a bucket of frozen rocks on the back porch..?")

Looking forward to the pictures. A couple of my favorite fossils in my collection came from M/B: a tiny, delicate fly and little fish (about the size of a guppy) preserved in such detailed relief that you can count its scales under magnification. If I ever get the right photography setup, I'll take a few shots for the group.

Best of luck and good hunting!

Mark

Nice and also can't wait to see what you crack open!!! An old trick I learned with ticks... Carry a pack of matches with you. If you light a match, blow it out and quickly touch the tick with it they immediately let go. :)

The match tick trick reminds me of my summers up in Lac du Flambeau, WI as a kid where the neighbor kids I hung with would do this to rid their black labs of ticks. Occasionally they would sneak their parent's cigarettes with the pretense that they were going to use then to roast a number of ticks from the pooches. Of course, once the ticks were vanquished they didn't want to waste the cigs...

I think I'd have a hard time doing the freeze/thaw down here in South Florida. I understand that 5 gallon buckets can be in short supply in northern Illinois due to all the Mazon Creek fossil hunters filling their backyards with rows of them. I'll use the limited freezer space available between the frozen blocks of mango from last year's harvest and the packets of pesto I put up from a bumper crop of basil. I'll enjoy the slow, methodical nodule cycling that will make this Easter's hunt a fresh memory for weeks to come. I'll revive this thread anytime something interesting unveils itself.

-Ken

I collected some nodules from the same area about 10 years ago. I had freezer space and cycled them for a few months until many of the popped. We got some nice jellies, a fern and some poop. However some of the nodules just would not give up the goods. I cycled those dang things for over 5 years!! I boiled 'em, I froze 'em, I soaked 'em , I dried up 'em, I did it all over again...

I kept them in a condo we kept for our visiting employees and periodically, one would ask... "Did you know there are rocks in the freezer?" Alas we sold the condo and when we moved out, I chucked them into the ravine. They probably opened on impact.... I should go back and check someday.

My report ---> http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/mazon/mazon.html

Ken, you have YEARS of fossil hunting ahead of you from the comfort of your own kitchen!

Great trip report on your website.

Yes, Mazon Creek fossils--the gift that keeps on giving...

Cheers.

-Ken

I had such fun reading your report. I have never made it to that site but on my next trip home I plan to.

I hope you find some fossils you wanted. Freeze/thaw is so exciting to me. I frequently hunt nodule sites

in Texas, my favorite kind of hunt!

Welcome to the forum!

Nice report.. Looks like you've found the secret, and now you're giving it out freely! ;)

That place is on my bucket list along with about 2 or 3 other US sites.

I'm definitely giving no secrets away saying that nodules can still be found at the Mazonia/Braidwood State Fish and Wildlife area. The region covers quite a wide swath and my point-and-shoot camera is too stupid to have GPS tagging so I'm giving no specifics away. So unless you recognize that juniper tree or they have very finely endemic tick species that give the exact site away, I don't think I'm giving away any deep dark secrets here. I will say that even with proper guidance on where to hunt you still have to look for areas that others have not picked clean. A finite number of nodules will erode out of the slopes each year and locating areas where others haven't already claimed the prize is still a challenge.

I will give these pointers:

1) Virtually all of the spoil pile areas are overgrown with foliage so hunting on slopes is likely better than hunting on level ground.

2) Even on slopes you need to look for areas where the overgrowth is thin and the gray clay matrix is visible (recent erosion).

3) Nodules won't come when you call (I tried). You must be willing to go off-trail and scrabble around in nearly inaccessible sharp and pokey undergrowth.

4) Excavating with tools (beyond a screwdriver to pry out a visible nodule) is prohibited so don't even try.

Ergo, look for gray clay areas on slopes and go to the most inaccessible areas where others would fear to tread and you'll likely increase your odds of coming away with some nodules. Oh yeah, and ticks are likely inevitable.

Cheers.

-Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update--

I'm continuing to cycle a shoebox size container of nodules on a cleared-out shelf in my freezer. Some of the nodules seem to slowly dwindle away by peeling off layers like an onion. A few of the thinner ones look like they had transverse cracks which caused them to split across the plain of any potential fossil. These tantalizing cross sections turned out to be nothing special when I took a hammer to them to see if I could get the pieces to split and reveal the item that initiated the nodule's formation. Mostly a silvery white patch that looks more like what seagulls leave on your car if you park it near the beach.

So far I've got a couple of dozen nodules to pop open along a midline seam revealing lovely color gradations toward the Tootsie Roll center of these Tootsie Pops but nothing identifiable in the core. Hoping my luck will soon change I continue to freeze and thaw these nodules hoping to be greeted with a fern leaf or other identifiable critter when I do get a nodule to pop instead of peel. No real sense in photographing my non-winning lottery tickets so I'll wait till something reveals itself.

Cheers.

-Ken

Good luck! Yeah they're a bit subtle, stubborn and fragile. Pretty much the opposite of Florida fossils! Haha

Hope you get a goodie!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

The one batch of Mazon Creek nodules I tried to freeze/thaw also just peeled like an onion. I was saddened. But don't give up.

Don't dismay because they are shedding their outer skins. Keep cycling them.

Never knew you could do that to get rid of ticks! One for the memory bank.

Looking foward to seeing the nodules split!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

The string method for ticks tries to ensure you don't brut-force the little buggers out or kill them before they've detached. You want them to retract their barbs and leave in one piece with nothing left behind to get infected. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting a lot of practice as I can't seem to leave the underbrush without taking home a hitchhiker or two.

The nodule continue to shed layers like a burlesque act in full swing. I just pulled out the container this morning while making breakfast and they are thawing on my kitchen counter as I write this. Once they've warmed up a bit I'll peel off any easily shed bits and inspect them for any seams. I'm using a small jeweler's screwdriver to test the seams and see if any are ready to give way and separate. Once I've discarded the chaff I'll re-soak the nodules for a day or so, drain the water and then pop them back into the freezer for another go around. Gives me something to do every couple of days--though I've got the patience a little reward now and then would make this seem less futile.

Will be sure and photograph the first non-dud nodule and post its image here.

Cheers.

-Ken

Good report. You explain the brush busting well. Hopefully you will get something cool out of one of those. I froze a bucket of them over the winter, and was pretty disappointed at my results. I was about to throw out the last stubborn few that I had given up on and I took a hammer to them and found a super cool shrimp!

Ramo

(Nice job on roping that tick. Tying up all their little legs and throwing your hands in the air to stop the clock is what I want to see next.)

Edited by Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

(Nice job on roping that tick. Tying up all their little legs and throwing your hands in the air to stop the clock is what I want to see next.)

That's the easy part--branding the little buggers is what really takes some skill (and a steady hand). ;)

-Ken

Mostly a silvery white patch that looks more like what seagulls leave on your car if you park it near the beach.

In my experience the white splotch is usually something organic like a jellyfish, is it not?

Yes, usually the white would be an indication of something organic. In this case from what I can see it appears to be something without a real distinct shape--even less so than jellyfish 'blobs'. So far these nodules have not revealed anything clearly identifiable--much like Bigfoot photos....

I've got a number of nodules so I'm still hopeful though none have proven productive yet.

-Ken

The nice thing about having a shoebox size container of Mazon Creek nodules in your freezer is that you can go fossil hunting in your kitchen. I continue to cycle the nodules and with the help of a tiny jeweler's screwdriver I've been able to pop open the seams on any nodules which develop them along the midline. So far most of the nodules have been as productive as scratch-off lottery tickets but a few have shown signs of whatever it was that initiated the nodules. Only two have produced anything identifiable--a small fern front leaflet (pinna) and what appears to be an Annularia stellata (an extinct horsetail type of plant). The Annularia only popped a small chip from the nodule revealing part of one of the whorls (don't know if it will ever pop-open along the fossil plane).

Will update this posting as any other little gems reveal themselves.

Cheers.

-Ken

post-7713-0-26853200-1400610408_thumb.jpg

post-7713-0-67230300-1400610409_thumb.jpg

I'd smack that big one open and try to prep it out. But, Mazon is a lot closer to me then you sir.

~Charlie~