Unknown From Sulphur River-Ladonia Tx

lea125

I found this yesterday while hunting the Sulphur River at Ladonia Texas.

It was down in the middle of the river where there was running water approx 8 inches deep. I saw this on the edge of the area the water had carved out of the rocks and gravel etc. It just looked oddly out of place.

Any ideas? I think it looks somewhat like a tooth but my husband is leaning towards petrified wood of some type.

The last picture is for size reference. We were in camper so I didn't have a ruler.

Thanks for any help!

post-11413-0-63279300-1398376845_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-89302200-1398377033_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-75363000-1398377131_thumb.jpg

It looks like a piece of fossilized bone, though it would be pretty hard to tell from what exactly. Could be a piece of mosasaur bone, or maybe a piece of a fish bone from a large species.

Yes, looks like bone rather than petrified wood. I walked that river east from the park a few years back and if I recall correctly did find some wood in the wash and marine fossils in the banks.

Unidentified bone frags are pretty easy to find in the NSR once you get the hang of it. I have a lot of them. I'm thinking about using my ceramic tile saw to open a few of them up to see inside. Might be cool.