Sign in to follow this  
The Count of Cabezon

Houston Area Fossil Opportunities?

The Count of Cabezon

I will be in Houston next week for a conference and I started thinking that I might make an opportunity to find some fossils out of it. The only problem is daylight. I should be in the conference from 8-5, but I thought about acquiring a location from someone who knows the area and getting out there bright and early in the mornings. I have been particularly mesmerized by all of the shark teeth I have seen from the collectors on this site and I would love to come away with a find of my own. Being from the landlocked state of New Mexico it would certainly make the trip!

If anyone can impart some information I would appreciate it.

MikeD

Not only is daylight your enemy, so is time. I don't know what area of town you will be in, but it is usually an hour or more drive each way to a decent fossil site. Then there would be that rush hour(s) traffic thing in the morning.

If you are still in town on Saturday the 24th, silverphoenix and maybe Oh-man and a few others will be at Whiskey Bridge over by College Station collecting Eocene marine fossils. Petrified wood is also in the area.

You could also visit the HGMS general meeting on Tuesday, the 27th, at 7:30 p.m. and possibly meet a few forum members and see some fossils. I'm sure I could dig up some various Texas fossils to throw your way while you are here.

tracer

the problem is apparently time. there are shark teeth at the coast, but the coast is an hour and a half away from houston. looking in the surf on whatever beach that is left that you can find on galveston would be the likeliest prospect for shark teeth. but sounds like you would probably need to stay over a weekend on either side of the conference to take advantage of that opportunity, and the tides are an issue also. you would want to check tide tables online and hunt more on the low tide side of the equation to have a reasonable chance of success. and if your eye isn't trained to instantaneously spot rolling triangles, surf-hunting can be a frustrating experience. the only "sure thing" fossil-hunting experiences within two hours of houston would be the things mike mentioned.

The Count of Cabezon

Yeah, I just looked at a map of the Houston area. Pretty big Metro! I think I may see about extending my stay and leaving Saturday night (I am scheduled to fly back to Albuquerque on Friday afternoon), if so, I would love to meet up with you guys! As it is, I would at least like to observe the HGMS meeting that evening. Sounds like it'd be something I would really enjoy. My wife and daughter are coming along to keep me company for the weeklong conference and I'm not sure they would be up for it, but I'd sure like to check it out! Meeting up with people who have great experience is definitely worth the time. Where is the meeting being held? I will need to make sure to get directions and see if I can make it before I commit to it.

I would really like to just extend my trip another week and do some serious beachcombing, but money is in short supply. Thanks for the info, both of you!

MikeD
Yeah, I just looked at a map of the Houston area. Pretty big Metro! I think I may see about extending my stay and leaving Saturday night (I am scheduled to fly back to Albuquerque on Friday afternoon), if so, I would love to meet up with you guys! As it is, I would at least like to observe the HGMS meeting that evening. Sounds like it'd be something I would really enjoy. My wife and daughter are coming along to keep me company for the weeklong conference and I'm not sure they would be up for it, but I'd sure like to check it out! Meeting up with people who have great experience is definitely worth the time. Where is the meeting being held? I will need to make sure to get directions and see if I can make it before I commit to it.

I would really like to just extend my trip another week and do some serious beachcombing, but money is in short supply. Thanks for the info, both of you!

The HGMS clubhouse is on the southwest side of town. See http://www.hgms.org/ for more info. Guests are always welcome. There is a presentation on Needle Peak, TX (I think that location is closer to you than me) which will include mineral and fossil info.

The Count of Cabezon

Excellent! I will plan on being there. Look for the big guy with an indian jones type hat, and a disoriented look on his face.

MikeD
Excellent! I will plan on being there. Look for the big guy with an indian jones type hat, and a disoriented look on his face.

It's a good thing you have the hat. There could be some competition on disoriented looks. :P The The meeting starts at 7:30, but people are usually there by 7:00 for socializing and checking out the silent auction (which ends at 7:30) that they have every month. I'll see you there.

The Count of Cabezon

Sorry to have missed you guys at the HGMS meeting! Due to traffic coming back from a field demonstration out in Trinity Bay (I think that is the name, it is the bay that the Trinity River drains into), I had no way of making it to the meeting in time. I also apologize that I was unable to let anyone know I wasn't going to make it. I hate when people make plans and don't follow through. I was bummed about missing it. I even had brought some of my small findings out here in New Mexico to share (even though they are pretty dang noobie-ish). Hope the meeting was successful and informative!

MikeD
Sorry to have missed you guys at the HGMS meeting! Due to traffic coming back from a field demonstration out in Trinity Bay (I think that is the name, it is the bay that the Trinity River drains into), I had no way of making it to the meeting in time. I also apologize that I was unable to let anyone know I wasn't going to make it. I hate when people make plans and don't follow through. I was bummed about missing it. I even had brought some of my small findings out here in New Mexico to share (even though they are pretty dang noobie-ish). Hope the meeting was successful and informative!

It was more about agates and minerals than fossils, but interesting none the less. At least you got to experience our wonderful traffic. :P Better luck next time.

JohnnyB9231

Anyone going to be in the Houston area looking for fossils on November 13th?

Megatooth Collector

I live in Houston and honestly don't know of many opportunities within the city. Galveston and the Bolivar are usually good places to find small sharks teeth. Let me know if you hear of anything else. The museum of natural science is pretty good in Houston. not as fun as finding fossils yourself but maybe at least you can look at some :)