Reminder--whiskey Bridge Trip This Saturday

silverphoenix

Things have been hectic here with classes--taking 16 hours, except my paleobiology research project is 12 instead of 4, so it's like I have 24 hours a week instead of 16...and people think I have all this free time because I fossil hunt at every shred of time I have to spare...it's not true..I'm just lucky enough to live 25 minutes away or so from WB :faint:

The Whiskey Bridge trip is this weekend on Saturday---I'm making the meeting time officially at 12 O'Clock, but if you want to come earlier or later, you're welcome to. It depends, but I may come as early as 9 AM and may stay for the entire day. This is the official date--my next two weekends are booked with geology trips and the weekends after that are sketchy on plans.

Bring everything you think you need and try to make this one--if anyone has questions, let me know. If you need GPS coordinates or directions, then let me know. I will bring some of my best finds from WB to show and it would be neat if everyone who came did the same if they've found something interesting here.

Be sure to bring something to properly transport your finds because most fossils from here are fragile and can easily be broken if you have to pull off some driving maneuvers or if you drop them on the way to your vehicle. I wrap everything in cotton balls and put them in pill bottles.

Please be careful where you park at the site so you don't block anyone in or out and make sure to bring the proper safety equipment. I bring a first aid kit on steroids, but I can't fix anything you'd need to go to the hospital for. I'm not responsible for anyone or their kids--so if anyone gets hurt, I'm not liable and you can't blame me--be safe and watch your footing.

I look forward to meeting some fellow fossil hunters from the forum and having a great day of collecting! Hopefully everyone will find something to write home about!

Let me know if you are coming--post or PM.

Things have been hectic here with classes--taking 16 hours, except my paleobiology research project is 12 instead of 4, so it's like I have 24 hours a week instead of 16...and people think I have all this free time because I fossil hunt at every shred of time I have to spare...it's not true..I'm just lucky enough to live 25 minutes away or so from WB :faint:

The Whiskey Bridge trip is this weekend on Saturday---I'm making the meeting time officially at 12 O'Clock, but if you want to come earlier or later, you're welcome to. It depends, but I may come as early as 9 AM and may stay for the entire day. This is the official date--my next two weekends are booked with geology trips and the weekends after that are sketchy on plans.

Bring everything you think you need and try to make this one--if anyone has questions, let me know. If you need GPS coordinates or directions, then let me know. I will bring some of my best finds from WB to show and it would be neat if everyone who came did the same if they've found something interesting here.

Be sure to bring something to properly transport your finds because most fossils from here are fragile and can easily be broken if you have to pull off some driving maneuvers or if you drop them on the way to your vehicle. I wrap everything in cotton balls and put them in pill bottles.

Please be careful where you park at the site so you don't block anyone in or out and make sure to bring the proper safety equipment. I bring a first aid kit on steroids, but I can't fix anything you'd need to go to the hospital for. I'm not responsible for anyone or their kids--so if anyone gets hurt, I'm not liable and you can't blame me--be safe and watch your footing.

I look forward to meeting some fellow fossil hunters from the forum and having a great day of collecting! Hopefully everyone will find something to write home about!

Let me know if you are coming--post or PM.

Where is this? Which state?

This is in college station/bryan, TX

600 miles from me. A bit far for a one day trip. :)

Can't wait to see what you guys uncover.

i would never take any of my fossils back to whiskey bridge because i wouldn't want them to fall off the wagon.

(ok, now come on, ya'll, you know that was spay shoal)

I have 3 people so far saying they'll be there---if this is one of those things where 100 people show up and I know of only 5 coming, I'm gonna be ticked, so please let me know if you're coming so I'll know how many people to expect. I want this to be a social event--not a "keep-to-self-dig-n-leave" deal.

haha a camera is a good idea--I'll be sure to pack mine and take some pics for everyone who can't make it.

I have 3 people so far saying they'll be there---if this is one of those things where 100 people show up and I know of only 5 coming, I'm gonna be ticked, so please let me know if you're coming so I'll know how many people to expect. I want this to be a social event--not a "keep-to-self-dig-n-leave" deal.

haha a camera is a good idea--I'll be sure to pack mine and take some pics for everyone who can't make it.

This is in college station/bryan, TX

Sounds like an Aggie trap.... Lure all the fossil hunters from the AUSTIN area under the guise of a "social event"...uh huh...right. Then things get ugly when you whip out that giant Conus shell and start knocking them off the bluff, and while they're laying stunned in the mud below, you finish them off with one of those monster Eocene beaks. It might be safer picking up snakes with barefootgirl and snakekeeper, or playing in a rebar pile with Solius, or having tracer represent you in a Court of Law............ :huh?:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sounds like an Aggie trap.... Lure all the fossil hunters from the AUSTIN area under the guise of a "social event"...uh huh...right. Then things get ugly when you whip out that giant Conus shell and start knocking them off the bluff, and while they're laying stunned in the mud below, you finish them off with one of those monster Eocene beaks. It might be safer picking up snakes with barefootgirl and snakekeeper, or playing in a rebar pile with Solius, or having tracer represent you in a Court of Law............ :huh?:

Wouldn't Tracer be the court jester with that hat?

lol I don't believe in that rivalry stuff. I have friends who go to UT and my girlfriend is my complete opposite on politics, my hobbies, etc and we get along great--I'm pretty much the most tolerant guy you'll meet. I do say it how it is though and I'm not afraid to spare the sugar coating on things. That sometimes gets me in trouble, but I figure it's always best to say exactly what you mean. Anyways, no trap! Just friends, fossils, and sharp pointy digging tools.

Hope you can make it--should be a lot of good stuff found that day :D

just remember john, if you act as your own attorney, then you have a fool for a client, as well as a representative. i think. i'm not sure. i'll ask a lawyer - there's 87 million of them around s/e texas. maybe. i'll ask.

and i'm changing my tactics when/if i got to whiskey bridge. when i go, i'm takin' busloads of kids, with numbered placards, and they will be aligned along the bank of the brazos rating each fossil find by anyone by lifting a card with a specific number on it. on their breaks, they will be given sharp, pointy things to dig with, probably cast in the likeness of belosapia prongs.

i got this idea from an experience i had years ago. i had a yard and wanted some sand spread in it, so i took a day off and had a load of sand delivered, and was calmly spreading it around my yard. but then school let out. suddenly, i had half a dozen or so little "helpers" with bare feet and sharp things all jabbing around in the sand at once. not much more work got done that day...

p.s. - i really need to go questing for some hyperbolic weches formation localities. stone city's kinda getting to be stone metropolis. so much chaos to cause - so little time...

p.p.s. - texas needs to quit getting all its rain in one big 24-hour lump delivery, and then none for months.

We're planning on being there.

As for the rivalry between the Horns and the Ags, it is more like family infighting since we all have family, friends, bosses, etc. on both sides of the line. Makes for good healthy competition.

And just think, if A&M had upheld their end of the bargain they would have been 9 & 1 when we (Longhorns) beat them in Austin, and our strength of schedule would have kept blow-U (oklahomi) out of another embarrasing performance in a National Championship Game!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

We're planning on being there.

As for the rivalry between the Horns and the Ags, it is more like family infighting since we all have family, friends, bosses, etc. on both sides of the line. Makes for good healthy competition.

And just think, if A&M had upheld their end of the bargain they would have been 9 & 1 when we (Longhorns) beat them in Austin, and our strength of schedule would have kept blow-U (oklahomi) out of another embarrasing performance in a National Championship Game!

I'm in and will probably show up around 9am. Because I definitly want to get a full day in.

Sounds great :D Well I'll be digging near the entrance to the site on the left--so be sure stop by and say hello. I'll have a lot of equipment with me of course--mostly to collect shell lense material in case I dig into another one. If anyone finds a shell lense and doesn't have the equipment to save and sort all the material, let me know and I'll help out. If anyone doesn't have my cell # and needs it, just PM me.

Oh and about our football team...yes, they are bad right now, but our soccer team is # 1 at least lol...I don't think that's something to brag about though :D Oh well, always next season to make up for it! B)

Sounds great :D Well I'll be digging near the entrance to the site on the left--so be sure stop by and say hello. I'll have a lot of equipment with me of course--mostly to collect shell lense material in case I dig into another one. If anyone finds a shell lense and doesn't have the equipment to save and sort all the material, let me know and I'll help out. If anyone doesn't have my cell # and needs it, just PM me.

Oh and about our football team...yes, they are bad right now, but our soccer team is # 1 at least lol...I don't think that's something to brag about though :D Oh well, always next season to make up for it! B)

I'm a soccer fanatic so that goes on the cool list for me.

If it was in Austin the tower would be lit Burnt Orange in celebration.

Congrats!

BTW here are last weeks finds.

If anyone wants some 45 mya otoliths (fish ear bone fossils) let me know. I have more than a couple of plates full floating around at the house.

So there are some good teeth in the one pic and a bunch of other stuff on the plate. I left out the bigger Otodus since it was already posted.

BTW - anyone know if that is a ray barb with all the "teeth" sticking out laterally - an inch to the right of the penny?

Thanks

post-549-1232687903_thumb.jpg

post-549-1232687979_thumb.jpg

Awesome teeth! That looks to be a fish jaw bone to the right of the penny.

Now you found allll that last weekend? lol I guess I'm still a novice when it comes to finding teeth! :D

Awesome teeth! That looks to be a fish jaw bone to the right of the penny.

Now you found allll that last weekend? lol I guess I'm still a novice when it comes to finding teeth! :D

Just from that one lens. I refer to it as the JohnJ lode! :P

Looks like a nice Abdunia sp. shark tooth under the penny - hard to tell... can you get a close up of that one?

BTW here are last weeks finds.

If anyone wants some 45 mya otoliths (fish ear bone fossils) let me know. I have more than a couple of plates full floating around at the house.

So there are some good teeth in the one pic and a bunch of other stuff on the plate. I left out the bigger Otodus since it was already posted.

BTW - anyone know if that is a ray barb with all the "teeth" sticking out laterally - an inch to the right of the penny?

Thanks

Owen,

It looks like a catfish pectoral spine...nice platter B)

Owen,

It looks like a catfish pectoral spine...nice platter B)

I was going to say that! :D

Hey O, where's a pic of that giant Athleta shell?

I was going to say that! :D

Hey O, where's a pic of that giant Athleta shell?

I raised my hand first!!!

Hey Mike, now we know Owen wasn't paying attention in Stone City catfish class a while back. ;)

Oh-Man, you have a demerit (which means you have to give up an hour in the cave to MikeD). :P

No WAY! No demerits for me!

Not a jaw bone, but forgot it was a catfish part vice a ray barb.

Senility is apparently hitting early.

heh heh

I raised my hand first!!!

Hey Mike, now we know Owen wasn't paying attention in Stone City catfish class a while back. ;)

Oh-Man, you have a demerit (which means you have to give up an hour in the cave to MikeD). :P