This forum owes it's existence to the broadly supported suggestions by RichW9090 and Opisthotriton, among others. We've structured it so that the pinned "gallery" topic will be the repository for the images of and basic data about specimens contributed by members to museum research collections, and amateur volunteer accomplishments and opportunities and discussions will populate the following topics.

Let's show the world how much amateurs contribute to the science of paleontology!

EDIT: As of Feb. 4, 2015, members whose contributions to paleontology through the donation of specimens will be recognized by the following icon under their avatar:     PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This will be a great way to highlight the collaboration between amateurs and pros. :D

:SlapHands:

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 4/27/2014 at 1:39 PM, JohnJ said:

This will be a great way to highlight the collaboration between amateurs and pros. :D

:SlapHands:

Hear Hear!

Gonna do my part and fill'er up w/ close to a thousand photos as months go by. All copy write free and anyone can use.

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Salutations to you RichW9090 & Opisthotriton for helping to establish such a great community of like-minded folks. :)

--- Joshua

Thank you! The gallery thread format looks absolutely perfect, and it is already very impressive!

I hope to some day add to that gallery. Thanks for all the great work everyone does on this forum. It's very much appreciated.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I know we have a bunch of members who assist institutions as volunteers, and it would be great if you (re)told your stories here. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

This is gonna be good!...a true testament to our ("amateur's") blood, sweat, tears and undeniable passion. Excellent Forum creation! That big thank you to our admin!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Thanks to the admins for the quick reaction on this really good idea and also to the ones who had it in the first place. I'm sure we'll be getting lots of attendance here, since I know we have an very good amount engaged amateurs here in this fantastic forum, and I'm looking forward to reading all the news and stories.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I've been a member here since 2009. It struck me early on how much really important stuff was found by the members here, but I really didn't get super active until maybe 2012 - and, paying closer attention, I saw many important specimens pass through the ID Forum. One of the primary reasons I'm involved here, aside from the fact that I love trying to identify things (even the ones I don't post on because I'm a rank amateur in those areas, like inverts, shark teeth, etc.) is to try to see that those fossils get to someone for proper identification, and hopefully get the finder to donate them so they can be described, and published.

I have been delighted at the response to this effort, not just on my part, but on the part of a number of the other regulars here who encourage this sort of professional/amateur cooperation.

Thank you John, Chas and others who found a way to be able to congratulate and thank our members who donate their specimens, and to make an easily accessible record of it. I'm sure this will help spread the word - both among the amateurs who have stuff, and particularly to those professionals who don't completely appreciate the collectors quite enough. Many professionals do, but there are some who don't. Hopefully their number will be smaller as a result of this Forum!

And thank you personally to those of you who have donated specimens in which I had some involvement - I'm very proud of you and TFF!

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Hahaaa, guess i need to say "sorry"....as i've now read the fine print on this new addition to the forum, which says it's for specimens that have been donated to museums....and i sure haven't donated almost a thousand specimens. :D ....was talking about the whole substance of my collection. But, still, i'll do my part to "fill'er up"....have several items that can be presented in this new section.

--- Joshua

• 9 months later...

To keep the importance of amateurs in the forefront, members whose contributions to paleontology through the donation of specimens will henceforth be recognized by the following icon under their avatar:  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png

Keep up the good work! :SlapHands:

To keep the importance of amateurs in the forefront, members whose contributions to paleontology through the donation of specimens will henceforth be recognized by the following icon under their avatar:

Keep up the good work! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

This is just another of the many good ideas you have related to TFF. :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 2/4/2015 at 12:16 PM, JohnJ said:

This is just another of the many good ideas you have related to TFF. :fistbump:

Just like everything here, this was a team effort, with in-depth discussions about TFF's direction and style.

And, special thanks to @piranha for suggesting refinements to the design of the award's icon.  :SlapHands:

:thumbsu:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg