New Coal Region Of Pa Find

bigjohn835

This ones fresh out the local coal breaker. Any idea? All the broken edges show a mix of pirite and quartz.

post-1183-1232593751_thumb.jpg

post-1183-1232593760_thumb.jpg

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

I have no idea but I like it. I wanna know when you find what it is.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

You know what It does.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest solius symbiosus

I don't think it is a fossil. I've seen something similar, but I can't recall the name. Something in German... I think???

Honeycomb from giant carboniferous honey bees!

Jk.

Best guess; mineral residue that filled in mud cracks and hardened. Later on the mud dissolved or sublimated or something.

I'm having a hard time with determining the scale. Looks like it's only 4-5 inches long.

I like veomega's description. I'm sure the local college/museum geologist can tell you exactly what it is.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I found something similar last year in Texas in a creek bed in Eocene strata. I was told it was called box work. Yours has a bit more interesting shape than mine. It is basically quartz/chalcedony/whatever that filled in the cracks in some sediment and then the sediment eroded away. Basically what Veomega said.

No clue either???

I'm having the same problem though :D

DSC01012.jpg

Different shape though

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Phoenixflood,

Does that seem to be ceramic in material? If sure looks like the ceramic inside part of a catalitic converter from a automobile.

I was told by a friend, that he has the exact same stuff at home. His came out of a coal mine and is round in total shape. He said it's about 1.5 feet in diameter. I will try and get a picture of his.

looks pretty cool wonder where you found it

I found it a local coal breaker in among the rock piles that were picked out of the coal. I was told it's pretty commonly seen there.

You know around here I see mud cracks in late Triassic muds that look like that pattern. I'll bet it's a mineral infiltration into those open mud cracks. shape is identical.