In-Situ Bison Skull Photos/video

Beekeeper

Cool flick! Is part of the skeleton there as well? If so, maybe a part two.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Yes, most of the rest of the articulated skeleton will come out next weekend.

Great Idea with the camera TB. Thanks for posting this project.

That suspension bench is genius.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

An exciting chapter in your life's work brilliantly captured in digital form.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words and for the advice! Here are a couple of pics... Will post more pics & video soon.

post-12770-0-35723400-1399310746_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-38096300-1399310803_thumb.jpg

OK, the level of cool involved here is off the charts!

Great job all around. I sincerely hope you will post stuff through the prep and everything else.

Cool flick! Is part of the skeleton there as well? If so, maybe a part two.

mikey

Yes we took lots of pics & video. Will post soon. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Update for August, 2014...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement! The bison was properly excavated & documented in April-May with more than a lot of help from member Truceburner and others outside of this forum. Bones and soil matrix are being analyzed with no results available yet as of the time of this post. Unofficial opinions of a few well-informed minds (not categorizing myself in that class!) believe that this is the extinct species Bison Occidentalis. There has been no obvious evidence of butchering, no projectile points, or anything indicating a human involvement with this animal at this point, but the official analysis has not gotten back to me yet. Soil matrix from the rib cage, cranial, nasal, and orbital cavities are also being analyzed for microfossils and paleo pollens.

I'm working on preserving the skull. Looking for some pointers... The right mandible is being analyzed by a bone expert in North Texas; other than that I have posession of the entire skull. It is filled with dirt and that's actually what's holding it all together. I would describe the brittle nature of the bone as comperable to stale peanut butter crackers. Sometimes as I remove the interior dirt, pieces of the bone flake away even at the slightest touch. Almost like trying to scrape out the peanut butter from between the wafers without breaking them! The skull also had extensive damage to the right frontal and orbital caused by a tree root growing through it.

I have divided the skull into quadrants and have been bagging and labeling the pieces as they break off so I can put most of the largest pieces back into place, but I was hoping for some advice on how to proceed. Some of the bone is so thin that the marrow is completely replaced by dirt with only a thin shell of brittle outer bone material held in place by the sod. I'm starting to wonder if I should just seal the dirt in to keep it all held together. I don't know if I have the time or patience to clean hundreds of little pieces & try to glue it all back together.

Also, does anyone know what the best adhesive would be for gluing pieces back in place? I've read a lot on this forum and have been told clear super glue or watered down school glue would proably do the trick but I'm hesitant to compromise the specimen. Right now the whole skull is sealed from the outside with all of the inner matrix dirt still intact inside. I sealed it with a hardening mixture of PVA chrystals and acetone, which can be removed with straight acetone when & if it comes to that. It's sitting in somewhat of a state of suspended animation at the moment. How would you handle the preservation and rearticulation?

I have about 100 in-situ and lab pics on this page if anyone is interested...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126916581@N07/sets/72157646505916735/

post-12770-0-17019200-1408763752_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-72224400-1408763787_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-91212900-1408763807_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-98323500-1408763823_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-80606300-1408763842_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-97506900-1408763857_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-34143100-1408763874_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-20339300-1408763978_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-22184600-1408763996_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-16313200-1408764023_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-06130700-1408764066_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-73891300-1408764087_thumb.jpg

post-12770-0-25781900-1408764102_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

"Paging Mr. Beekeeper, Mr. Beekeeper to the white courtesy phone for an update on the age of that bison..."

Pva in acetone is a great start, and you can remove it with acetone and a little welding brush. Slow, but very effective.

I would love to hear a update on your Bison....Its a wonderful find and I hope everything is going well....... :)

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've had any activity on this forum but thought I'd give an update on this bison skeleton. This was not an extinct species, but a modern one that carbon dated to about 700 years old. She was an adult female about seven years old at the time of death. I spent about 6 months stabilizing the skull with PVA/acetone, as it was in several pieces. The rest of the skeleton remained wrapped and boxed from the excavation and kept in a closet for a couple of years while the skull sat proudly in my study.  

In the meantime I was approached by the National Bison Association, as they were interested in getting a DNA sample to compare with modern bison, which contain traces of bovine cattle DNA. Since this bison was prehistoric, before cattle were introduced by early European explorers, they were interested in making a comparison. Unfortunately the teeth were too mineralized to extract a DNA sample. A calcaneum was examined for another study called Project Bison, which is an attempt to determine the animal's ability to adapt to abrupt climate change.  And on this forum, some of the members interested in microfossils examined some of the interior cranial matrix. Perhaps some of you who I sent samples to could comment, although most came back as unremarkable. 

As of now, the skull will be displayed at the Falls On The Colorado Museum in Marble Falls, Texas starting next weekend, 6/17/17. The long term plan is to restore and rearticulate the rest of the skeleton, but that will likely be a long and expensive process. In the meantime the skull will be at the museum as part of an exhibit with some Native American pieces and artifacts. If anyone is ever in Marble Falls (about an hour northwest of Austin) then stop by the museum!  Their website is www.fallsmuseum.org

I have some info and pics with lots of links and FF member Truceburner's video here if anyone is interested: http://www.cloudhollow.com/prehistoric-bison-excavation

skull in case.jpg

Thanks for following through with us.

it can be a long time between discovery and knowledge but it is worth the wait.

and congratulations on having your specimen being important enough to be studied.  You may never know that what you find is important unless you can have a  place to discuss it like TFF.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

This is a very interesting an informative post. I'm glad @Beekeeper gave the update or I never would have seen it!

I have some experience building mounts for fossils (admittedly never a full body mount). Since this specimen is going to be displayed in a small museum, I'm willing to donate my labor to build the mount. Send me a PM if you want to discuss it; I would love to see this specimen on full display as it deserves.