More Crinoids

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I spent a few hours this morning at the outcrop(late Mid Ord./early Late Ord.) that has been producing the Iocrinus/Retreocrinus. The purpose was to complete a strat column that I had started back in the summer, but it had been months since I hit the site, so I decided to look around. I ended up finding 3 more partials, and one stone with 2 nearly complete pieces.

The place is littered with brachs.

post-179-1232651498_thumb.jpgpost-179-1232651557_thumb.jpg

And bryozoans

post-179-1232651630_thumb.jpg

Star pattern of the index fossil Constellaria sp.

post-179-1232651699_thumb.jpg

Partial Retreocrinus sp.

post-179-1232651761_thumb.jpg

post-179-1232651806_thumb.jpg

post-179-1232651847_thumb.jpg

There are two on this one. The obvious one, and one, somewhat, hidden in the shadow. It looks like the one in the shadow has about 3 or 4 inches of the stem with it. Should prep out nice.

post-179-1232651984_thumb.jpg

There is even a small stream immediately adjacent to the outcrop for washing the mud off your finds. :)

post-179-1232652089_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
nice crinoids. creepy avatar. does he dance like that all night while we're sleeping?

"Snoopy in Disguise (w/o Glasses)"!

<Apologies to John Fred and his Playboys>

<Further apologies to all the members who now have the song stuck in their frontal cortex>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I pulled a few more crinoids yesterday. 3 nearly complete, and 4 partials. One of the partials is clearly a different genera that what I have been pulling(disparids). I'm thinking that the odd balls(I've pulled 2 thus far) are camerates??? Anyway, I didn't photograph the odd balls. If I find better examples, I will include them then.

This one will be tough to prep.

width of pic about 8 cm

post-179-1237569264_thumb.jpg

These two were found side by side, so I assume that they are the same critter.

post-179-1237569453_thumb.jpgpost-179-1237569466_thumb.jpg

This is pretty much how I found them.

post-179-1237569542_thumb.jpg

It should be all there.

post-179-1237569582_thumb.jpg

A partial.

post-179-1237569635_thumb.jpg

A big ol' hypostome from an Isotelus gigas trilobite.

post-179-1237569677_thumb.jpg

BTW, all of the crinoids are about 2 or 3 inches in length.

Okay, your making me jealous now! :drool: Must be nice having a treasure trove right out your back door. Great looking 'noids.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice pieces. I've seen zillions of crinoids (stems) at zillions of outcrops and never once have I found a complete or remotely complete crinoid. It must be nice!

The small creek for washing off your finds -- bit cold???

Congrats!

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yeah, I have lost count how many I have pulled from that "garden", but it is somewhere around 50-60 in the last year. I also found a Pychnocrinus "garden" last year that has produced about 35 pieces.

^^Yeah, I have lost count how many I have pulled from that "garden", but it is somewhere around 50-60 in the last year. I also found a Pychnocrinus "garden" last year that has produced about 35 pieces.

Wow! i'm turning green! :o

was thinking about posting pics of some primibrachial plates & tegmen spines that i've been finding at my current favorite location,

but now i think i'd feel silly...

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Nice detail, Tim. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 1 month later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I was in Frankfort yesterday, so I dropped by the outcrop. I found 8 more partials crinoids; one or two might be whole. I also found my first odontopleurid trilobite in 25 years(I think???). I have found several pygidiums and cephalons through the years, but nothing approaching a whole one.

I lucked upon this one. I saw a "stem" from a crinoid disappearing into the rock, so I used my hammer as a chisel(mistake) to try and knock some of the over burden away and see if the whole thing was there. When I did, I freed the trilobite, but I broke the pygidum off, and couldn't find it.

I you look, you can see spines off the left side. That is why I think I think it is an odontopeurid. Probably Primaspis.

length about 1cm

post-179-1241065445_thumb.jpg

This makes about 70 crinoids that I have pulled from a very small outcrop. All have been found in the talus, but I have located the bed from which they come. Recently, I found a small slab with 5 complete ones, so soon, I am going to take a big hammer with me and try to retrieve some nice slabs.

The crinoids are about 3-6cm in length.

post-179-1241065615_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065630_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065658_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065669_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065680_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065707_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065715_thumb.jpg

post-179-1241065728_thumb.jpg

Very cool. All those years I was looking, the trilobites and crinoids were only a mile away. :P One of these days.....