Announcing The First Ever Discovery In Tennessee Of Lignite Fossilized To "jet"!

Tennessees Pride

In september of 2013 a small piece of history was made in a Late Cretaceous formation here in Tennessee. In that month, I discovered a whole tree which had been fossilized to Jet! Jet is an organic mineraloid substance which is something of a rarity. Other organic mineraloids would be Amber and Pearl. A Mineraloid is something not technically a true mineral because it is derived from matter of an organic nature. In this case, this Jet could be described as a fossil, a mineraloid, or even a semi-precious gemstone. Our ancestors have had quite a long relationship with Jet which stretches back atleast to the Neolithic, like Amber, it has always been a prized material because of its electrostatic properties.
So, without further ado, i wish to show the world the first glimpse of Tennessee Jet. :) & to be sure, i contacted The Tennessee Division of Geology in Nashville, spoke w/ the State Geologist. He was unaware of this mineraloids occurrence in Tennessee's borders....so a cross reference of the latest edition of The Minerals Of Tennessee was quickly made.....it's not in there either! (Truely, Jet is pretty rare everywhere else in America too.) So here is the first photos that anyone has ever saw of this material.....you can plainly see it use to be a tree, now it's Jet! There is an untold hundreds of pounds of this i have found....all still in the shape of a single tree!

post-14571-0-70528900-1399198019_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-49147000-1399198141_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-53908300-1399198248_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-04205500-1399198355_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

tennesseespride@gmail.com

Waiting on the sun to come up and i'll photograph more of this material for viewing.

--- Joshua

Oh......that's pretty awsome stuff....but i'm pretty sure these next few posts are about to blow everybody's mind away.....

--- Joshua

You ready for this?!?!?!?.................how bout some Amber with some Jet!!!!!!!!! YEAAAAAA!!!!!

post-14571-0-81745100-1399201743_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Oh boy oh boy!.......oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!..........i'm not finished yet!

--- Joshua

Yep.....there's Amber & Jet in the same fossil tree alright.....but that same tree has a few other outrageous qualities about it still!!!!..........how bout some unaltered Cretaceous wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........oh yea!!!!!!........hey!....hang on just a second.......how bout some petrified wood stuck to that unaltered wood!!!!!!!!.............holy smokes batman!!!! :D

Pic1: Jet to wood!!! Pic2: wood to petrified wood!!! Pic 3: unaltered wood!!!

post-14571-0-91948000-1399203477_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-17552500-1399203582_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-30372000-1399203695_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

:popcorn: Good stuff......

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

More unaltered wood that flaked off the pet samples....

post-14571-0-02100500-1399204152_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

I know this has to be confusing so let me explain futher....we have a tree specimen, the structure of the specimen goes like this from outside to inside (cross section) first there is a tough "skin" of the mineraloid Jet....the bark, and several inches inward...probably up to 3 or so inches thick....maybe more. Second we come to Amber, and unaltered wood......and lastly, in the center of the tree(!!!), the unaltered wood contacts a core of petrified wood!

Now who in the world has ever in their life heard of such crazy stuff!!!!!.....Jet/Amber/Wood/Petrified Wood.......all together in a single specimen!!!!!....are ya kidding me!!!! That has never been recorded by science ever!!!!!.....unaltered wood and Amber has been recorded together.....and Jet and Petrified Wood has been recorded in very rare instances together........but all that together in 1 specimen........that's revolutionary right there!!!!!! Simply the only example i know of on earth.

--- Joshua

Everything about this huge specimen is beautiful!!!.....just look @ the pet wood when it's ready for display.....

post-14571-0-21711600-1399206007_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

:popcorn: Good stuff......

Thank you sir. :)

--- Joshua

Here is a pic of a Jet/Wood/Amber/Petrified Wood section after it snapped off the main Section. This specimen here is roughly 5 ft. × 3 ft. This isn't the only locality i have saw this material. The Jet isn't able to be saw good in this shot because it is on the underneath side, but unaltered wood and pet wood are clearly viewable

post-14571-0-78925200-1399221056_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Good stuff Joshua! Hopefully the professionals will stand up and recognize this and make a write up on it. But i think mostly you have to go to them.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

WOW! :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Pretty awesome stuff. Is this a marine formation where the wood probably floated out and sank?

You ready for this?!?!?!?.................how bout some Amber with some Jet!!!!!!!!! YEAAAAAA!!!!!

i found some kauri gum with the bark attached a while ago but nothing as old and cool as THAT!

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Thank you very much erose, Herb, NZ_Fossil_Collecta, and Bev. :) I was thinking it was some pretty good stuff too.

--- Joshua

I hear you on that. The more we teach our youth about paleontology and geology and to appreciate them, the further we as a whole will grow with better understanding of the World around us through scientific discoveries that they might make while we inevitably grow old.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I hear you on that. The more we teach our youth about paleontology and geology and to appreciate them, the further we as a whole will grow with better understanding of the World around us through scientific discoveries that they might make while we inevitably grow old.

That's the name of the game! :D hope they pass me up like i wasn't even there.

--- Joshua

Pretty awesome stuff. Is this a marine formation where the wood probably floated out and sank?

Yes sir, it is marine in origin, however the mechanisim of deposition i'm still working with.

--- Joshua

I'm actually pointing to the bark of this tree in one of the shots, but these pics should give a good idea about how large the hunks of Jet get.....i have entertained ideas of having a hunk faceted into a huge stone....

post-14571-0-20903600-1399325799_thumb.jpg

post-14571-0-45577200-1399325870_thumb.jpg

--- Joshua

Wow!!! Cool find!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Wow!!! Cool find!

Thank you JohnBrian. :)

--- Joshua