Summer 2009 Or 2010 Proposal

Boogra

I know I'm new to these forums, but everyone here seems pretty cool, and I know some of you get together from time to time so here's an idea I was thinking about.

I was wondering what you guys think about a long range plan for a good sized get together of as many members as can make it to get together to do an actual group dig somewhere in Montana. If Montana didn't work, we could always go to Montana or maybe even Montana. As a last resort, Montana would work, I guess.

Seriously though, its January, and even if we planned it for this summer, that would still give us about six months to plan. We could carpool and cut down on gas prices per person. I drive a big four-door Dodge Ram 4x4 with super comfy back seats and a great stereo system. Four people can ride in my truck and be quite comfortable,and I can easily carry their gear in the truck bed. Even at my measley 15 miles per gallon, a trip to Montana would only cost four ridesharing folks about $80 in gas each way assuming 2000 miles at $2.00 per gallon and an oil change. A week of camping is pretty darn close to free, so for not a lot of money, we could really have a great trip, especially if some of the professionals who are members and admins could come out and join us and really show the correct way to run a dig.

I know there are four people in the forums who are relatively close to me (+/- three hours) in East Central Mississippi. This forum pretty much seems to own most of Texas, and there are people here clustered in the Northeast as well. It would be fairly easy for those who wanted to come along to rideshare as long as routes were planned in advance.

This could literally be the trip of a lifetime for a lot of us. I don't know what kind of hurtles there are as far as getting rights to dig or finding a suitable spot to hunt for a dig site, but I'm sure with enough planning those could be overcome.

Just a suggestion. I think it would be a ton of fun.

I could dig it. Early summer might be best but it might be better to plan it for 2010 so everyone has more time to plan and save. Plus permits would have to be applied for, dates set in stone. It takes alot of planning to pull something like that together and make everything work. Sounds like a plan though, are you going to do the planning and get permits?

the only way you will be able to dig in montana, (i assume cretaceous dinosaurs is what you are all thinking), is to contact a land owner and get permisson. this is usually a tough thing to do, as most if not all of them have already had people do the same thing. you won't need a permit, and couldn't get one unless you are a university or a not for profit museum, and even then it is alot of red tape. there may be someone on the forum that already has access to some land on private property that could arrange to bring a large group to. that would be the best way to accomplish this. other than that you could dig for inverts on any public land, excepting indian reservations. usually no permit or license is required but that depends on the site and the fossils found there. personally i hope for the dinosaur dig. i wish i knew someone that could get us on some good productive land.

Brock

I call shotgun!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Well the Sulphur river is open for exploration all the time is it not. I am sure we could find some place to set up camp close by. Just throwing out ideas here.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

another idea...we could all camp out in Bowkill's yard and dig in Kansas! :o

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

another idea...we could all camp out in Bowkill's yard and dig in Kansas! :o

I spoke with someone today in Utah who is an extremely well respected collector and is willing to basically guide us for several days to some sites on public lands to collect leaves, trilobites and other plant life. In addition, he's willing to show us a couple of his personal collecting sites, one of which he claims you can fill the back of a truck with leaf fossils in a half a day.

On top of all of this, he's willing to do this for nothing. Pay his gas and if people have a great time make a small donation or donate a nice specimen to the local museum. He said his average expenses forone day run $100. Split between only 5 people or so, this is only $20per day per person. Disgusting for the amount of knowledge we can gain from this individual and the number of specimens we can collect.

This, of course, is not a classic dinosaur dig, but it does provide some of us who don't live in areas where this type of collecting is available with an opportunity to get together, dig some nice fossils and camp for about a week. This person is willing to see us come back on an annual basis if we choose to. I spoke with him for about an hour this afternoon and we had a great conversation.

I'm going to go this summer. If any of you from the Southeast want to come along, you're certainly welcome. I'll provide the vehicle for up to four people. I have a lot of camping experience, especiallyout West where I grew up, so in the next weeks, I'll be posting a list of suggested gear to bring along. If you live in Texas and want to go, I'll be happy to come pick you up and drop you off after the trip. Like I said, I can carry three plus me.

I spoke with someone today in Utah who is an extremely well respected collector and is willing to basically guide us for several days to some sites on public lands to collect leaves, trilobites and other plant life. In addition, he's willing to show us a couple of his personal collecting sites, one of which he claims you can fill the back of a truck with leaf fossils in a half a day.

On top of all of this, he's willing to do this for nothing. Pay his gas and if people have a great time make a small donation or donate a nice specimen to the local museum. He said his average expenses forone day run $100. Split between only 5 people or so, this is only $20per day per person. Disgusting for the amount of knowledge we can gain from this individual and the number of specimens we can collect.

This, of course, is not a classic dinosaur dig, but it does provide some of us who don't live in areas where this type of collecting is available with an opportunity to get together, dig some nice fossils and camp for about a week. This person is willing to see us come back on an annual basis if we choose to. I spoke with him for about an hour this afternoon and we had a great conversation.

I'm going to go this summer. If any of you from the Southeast want to come along, you're certainly welcome. I'll provide the vehicle for up to four people. I have a lot of camping experience, especiallyout West where I grew up, so in the next weeks, I'll be posting a list of suggested gear to bring along. If you live in Texas and want to go, I'll be happy to come pick you up and drop you off after the trip. Like I said, I can carry three plus me.

I'd be very interested in the Utah trip, but wouldn't it be a 23 hour drive?

hmm...23-hour drive...you know, that'd be worth it just to see which of ya'll could actually stand 23 hours in a vehicle with me. think i'll start with the energy drinks right now. in fact, let's go right now! come pick me up - i'm waiting. i haven't called in sick from out of state lately.

I'd be very interested in the Utah trip, but wouldn't it be a 23 hour drive?

I think so, but my truck is quite comfortable. We could do 23 hours standing on our head in that thing. I'd be more than happy to pick you up in Texas as well. I'd love to have someone of your knowledge on the trip.

I think so, but my truck is quite comfortable. We could do 23 hours standing on our head in that thing. I'd be more than happy to pick you up in Texas as well. I'd love to have someone of your knowledge on the trip.

What are the dates that you are looking at to go this summer?

What are the dates that you are looking at to go this summer?

I'm pretty flexible. I work for myself, so unless I'm in the middle of a project, I can go any time. I'mplanning for 2 days there, 5 days in the field, and 2 days back. Nine days total. I think we should let other people who don't have such fluid schedules decide the exact dates, but I would want to shoot for July/August, as that's the best weather with the warmest nights out west. Come September, most people are back in school and it can easily drop below freezing at night in the mountains of Utah. The days are dry and in the 90's, but are bearable because of the lack of humidity.

So to answer your question again, July/August, staying away from the weekends surrounding the 4th of July.

I'm pretty flexible. I work for myself, so unless I'm in the middle of a project, I can go any time. I'mplanning for 2 days there, 5 days in the field, and 2 days back. Nine days total. I think we should let other people who don't have such fluid schedules decide the exact dates, but I would want to shoot for July/August, as that's the best weather with the warmest nights out west. Come September, most people are back in school and it can easily drop below freezing at night in the mountains of Utah. The days are dry and in the 90's, but are bearable because of the lack of humidity.

So to answer your question again, July/August, staying away from the weekends surrounding the 4th of July.

Any time is good I too don't have to worry about answering to no one but myself. But as for the weather, I have camped in Utah in the middle of July in the mountains and burn up with the temp in the upper 90's in the day and have my water get ice in it at night so it is a snarge shoot about the weather. The nights get pretty cold but it warms up quick. What part of Montana are you looking at going to?

I don't know how you guys do that quote thing, but John said come to Kansas and camp in my yard. As a matter of fact I just bought a house with 40 acres and you are all welcome to come camp in my yard. Just bring a few tools to help with the renovation. I'll post some pictures of the new place on another thread. I could look into getting some permission on some chalk outcrops, but they are about 100 miles west of the house.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Like I said I call shotgun. Summer is great for me. The kiddo will be with dad and my mom can watch my sis. Let me know exact dates. Ill start savin money.

Alfred North Whithead

Any time is good I too don't have to worry about answering to no one but myself. But as for the weather, I have camped in Utah in the middle of July in the mountains and burn up with the temp in the upper 90's in the day and have my water get ice in it at night so it is a snarge shoot about the weather. The nights get pretty cold but it warms up quick. What part of Montana are you looking at going to?

This is actually in Utah in the northeastern section. I'd like to call this guy back in a month or so and set a date certain with some wiggle room for emergencies.

Are you retired early or do you work for yourself as well?

I don't know how you guys do that quote thing, but John said come to Kansas and camp in my yard. As a matter of fact I just bought a house with 40 acres and you are all welcome to come camp in my yard. Just bring a few tools to help with the renovation. I'll post some pictures of the new place on another thread. I could look into getting some permission on some chalk outcrops, but they are about 100 miles west of the house.

:faint: ...recovering from Ramo's offer...nope, nope, whoaaa...feeling light-headed thinking about giant fish, sharks, and MOSASAURS :faint:

John, just to sweeten the offer a little, the land has a quary on it where they got the fence post limestone to build the house and all the outbuildings. It is about 30 yards wide, and follows the contour of the land for about 200 yards (the quary, not the house). You are welcome to dig there all you want. Unfortunately the Greenhorn limestone isn't as good as the chalk, and a lot harder to dig. I will guarantee you all the clam fossils you can haul though.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

John, just to sweeten the offer a little, the land has a quary on it where they got the fence post limestone to build the house and all the outbuildings. It is about 30 yards wide, and follows the contour of the land for about 200 yards (the quary, not the house). You are welcome to dig there all you want. Unfortunately the Greenhorn limestone isn't as good as the chalk, and a lot harder to dig. I will guarantee you all the clam fossils you can haul though.

:drool:

I say MONTANA and if not Montana I say MONTANA :D

The price of membership to belong to the forum could pay for gas. LOL

But where in The Big Sky State :o

Now who do we know who lives in Montana??

Archived