Sign in to follow this  
mwolf

Potomac Fossils

mwolf

Good Morning,

Does anyone have infromation on where to find fossils along the Potomac? I am new to fossil collecing and am trying to find areas in the Maryland and Virginia Area.

Thanks.

CH4ShotCaller

You're in a great area that's loaded with fossils. Several members in the Forum are well versed with that location. Here's a small bit of info with pictures in this link. Good luck! https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fossilguy.com%2Fsites%2Fpotomac%2F&ei=8_VoU5rqM8jsoAS44IE4&usg=AFQjCNGTS36cCqDttMMIaldffZHsVk6dZw&sig2=NZcN1WqZ8TA7zvFLNN1XRQ&bvm=bv.66111022,d.cGU

mwolf

Thanks for the information. I made my first trip to Brownies Beach last week and found some small shark teeth and some stingray teeth. I can't wait to find new locations and find new fossils.

Gneave

I am looking for a place to find shark teeth in the same area because brownies beach( my favorite site) is currently only allowing "locals" in for the busy season. This is irritating and i want to know if any nearby streams or beaches that are lesser known yield any teeth as well (not the state park, there are very few teeth there compared to brownies beach). Preferably a location only a few people know about since i hate crowds when i am trying to appreciate fossils. Any leads about the surrounding region would be great!